Till FAT32 fixed in 3036 - Can I create 2 windows partitions

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by S_Watts, Dec 14, 2006.

1. S_Watts

S_Watts Bit poster

Since FAT32 bug with 3036 is not supported using parallels with boot camp partition, can I create a partition using NTFS to load windows and a second partition FAT32 to store my data?

2. Atomic_Fusion

Atomic_Fusion Hunter

(P.D. = Parallels Desktop)
    You can only have one partition in Bootcamp. That's a limitation on Bootcamp and OS X, not P.D. Any FAT32 partition you have will have to be external or virtual, and nothing except P.D. reads virtual, so you wouldn't be able to access it from OS X outside of P.D. Your external drives will run at USB1 speed if you hook up on USB.

3. joem

joem Forum Maven

Not really the case. External drives will run at whatever speed the hardware (drive and Mac) allow. USB devices report as 1.1 but actually run at near 2.0 speeds if the hardware allows. But of course talking directly to an external drive doesn't work anyway unless it's a flash stick so it's a moot point. If you put a virtual drive file on an external drive, you will get full hardware speed access.

4. Atomic_Fusion

Atomic_Fusion Hunter

JOEM WROTE: "Not really the case. External drives will run at whatever speed the hardware (drive and Mac) allow."

So what's all the fuss about USB 2.0 support then?

5. joem

joem Forum Maven

Direct USB support would allow full bit for bit pass through and allow all USB devices for which guest drivers are available to work exactly as they would if the guest were running on raw hardware. The current emulation restricts functionality to the point where many devices simply don't work. It isn't a speed issue.

6. Atomic_Fusion

Atomic_Fusion Hunter

Thank you for the explanation. I thought from all the requests that people wanted faster speeds for their devices, and I thought people were not buying into P.D. because of it. But from what you're saying, it's just that some devices simply won't work.

What about firewire?