Time Machine & striped virtual disks

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by D. Alan Stewart, Apr 11, 2008.

1. D. Alan Stewart

D. Alan Stewart Bit poster

I'm quite disappointed. When I converted my old format virtual disk to the new striped format I expected that Time Machine would only backup the stripes that had actually changed. However, the file modification times for all stripes on all drives are changing every day. It looks like the timestamp on all of them is set to the time when I shut down the virtual machine. Is that unavoidable? It would really be helpful to not have to backup all 30GB to capture at most a few 100 megabytes of changes each day.

2. rm53

rm53 Member

for me this works like it should. My opensuse HD is 18 GB but after some config changes only one slice of 2.7GB was saved by Time Machine, similar for the ubuntu hd where after some software and security updates only one slice of the 9 GB HD was included in the new Time Machine backup.
    (In Oct 07 (I think) I posted the opposite problem here, then TM would not update my HD even after some changes, but after a certain time this worked out by itself, maybe a timestamp problem.)

3. D. Alan Stewart

D. Alan Stewart Bit poster

guest OS?

Maybe the guest OS is the difference? I'm running Windows XP Pro as mine. Possibly Windows does some validation on shutdown that really does update each stripe.