Timeslips 11 in Parallels

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Dave28C, Apr 4, 2007.

1. Dave28C

Dave28C Bit poster

I am trying to install Timeslips 11 in Windows via Parallels on my MacBookPro Intel machine. This progam is a time and billing software for lawyers (and others who bill by the hour) from Sage Software.

I got as far as somthing named "demo-shield," then the install program stalls. I had to use force quit to get out of the stall.

I've tried both the autorun Windoze feature, and using Add New Programs in Control Panel. I simply cannot get the program to install.

BTW, I have no anti-virus software running. Twice I've tried to download AVG's free / trial software and it also won't install in Windoze via Parallels.

Appreciate any suggestions.

Dave Clark

2. Dave28C

Dave28C Bit poster

BTW, when I explore the My Computer icon and look at the DOS tree, I see that drive D is described as Parallels Tools Setup Disk. On this MacBookPro, the CD drive has never had such a disk anywhere near it, and the name of the drive cannot be changed.

3. CelticTech

CelticTech Junior Member

It sounds like your VM is still attached to the tools install image instead of your CD ROM

Try

Go to Devices menu at top of screen-Select CD/DVD-Rom-Select (Connect to default CD/DVD-ROM).

4. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

We use Lexis Products here without an issue.

Try what CelticTech said, it should help.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2007
  5. Dave28C

Dave28C Bit poster

I managed to get Parallels running and have used it for one installed program. I still want to install Timeslips and transfer it from the old Dell to my new MacBookPro Intel.

Thanks for the comments.

Dave

6. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Transfer it from your Dell to MacBookPro? Have you tried just doing a fresh install?

7. Dave28C

Dave28C Bit poster

I haven't the foggiest what you're talking about. I looked at the Devices, saw the CD etc, and have no idea what the point is or what I'm supposed to do.

Now something different is happening.

I cannot get Parallels to work correctly. Every time I launch it, the Parallels Tools Setup Wizard pops up. In the box it reads:

"The Parallels Tools Setup Wizard will reinstall the currently installed 2.5.3188 version. To continue, click Next Button."

I have clicked the Next Button a few dozens times AND NOTHING HAPPENS.

I cannot get anywhere with Parallels if it won't install the Tools.

I had it running a few weeks ago, but now its stopped and trying to Reinstall tools.

I can't get the Start button to work, NOTHING NOTHING NOTHING.

Tech Support even the paid variety is USELESS!!!!!!!!

8. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Alrighty... I'm confused as well, I was probing for information there... (sorry it has taken so long to get back to you, I was at piano competitions and finals for college in the same week. YUCK!)

Have you tried backing up your .hdd file and then zapping your Parallels completely? See this thread: http://forum.parallels.com/thread1226.html

Then, re-install Parallels and see if that works...

What do you mean by transferring it from your Dell?

9. parallels support

parallels support Member

Backdoor when tools won't load

Hey Dave28c

Just as some background info, the Parallels Tools package installs through the Virtual CD/DVD drive in Windows via an ISO image file that's located on the Mac hard drive. That being said, the CD/DVD drive must be connected and available within Windows. When you're clicking on the "next" button and nothing happens, more than likely the ISO image mounts in the virtual CD drive but the Autoplay file is not launching the .EXE file to actually run the program. Try opening "my Computer" and see if the CD drive is now an icon titled "Parallels Tools Setup Disk (D). If so, open it and launch the .EXE setup file manually.