Tools never finishes installing

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by acrafton, Aug 26, 2007.

1. acrafton

acrafton Bit poster

Hey. I tried to use Coherence but nothing happens so I happened upon a thread that suggested making sure that Tools was installed. When I pull down the menu (Action) the only option dealing with tools is "Cancel Parallels Tools Installation") but nothing is going on. . .for HOUR or days it has been this way. I cancelled and then select "Install Parallels Tools" but again, nothing happens. .

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Adam

2. johnv

johnv Parallels Team Parallels Team

Hello, Adam!

Please open My Computer and double-click on the Prltools CD icon to start Parallels Tools installation manually,

Best regards,
    John

Last edited: Aug 27, 2007
  3. SwissMac

SwissMac Bit poster

This topic also concerns me - under which computer is Pro Tools to be found - Mac or Windows? My Computer is usually on Windows but Action is usually Mac. I am confused...

4. johnv

johnv Parallels Team Parallels Team

Hello!

Please choose the "Install Parallels Tools" option under the "Actions" menu. The line will change to "Cancel Parallels Tools Installation". Parallels Tools installation wizard should appear. If nothing appears please open My Computer in Windows and find the CD DVD drive with Parallels Tools. Double-click on this disk to start Parallels Tools installation.

Best regards,
    John

5. spectre

spectre Parallels Team

Parallels Tools package is a CD ISO image file located in /Library/Parallels on the Mac side. When you start Parallels Tools installation from the Mac OS "Actions" menu - Parallels connects the Tools ISO file as a CD disk to your Virtual Machine and it's accessible in Windows for example under My Computer as a CD disk in your VM drive.

6. SwissMac

SwissMac Bit poster

On the Mac side the in Parallels app the "Install Parallels Tools" option is greyed out and cannot be clicked. There is only an Upgrade Parallels Tools option available.

As I said in a separate post, my current Parallels install is suffering from a dual identity crisis - somehow it's config is based on an earlier install of parallels on a different computer (from when I used Migration Assistant to create user files on my new MacBook).

I did not want to use the Parallels setup from the old computer, but a new one based on files held on Boot Camp, but somehow this has not happened and I have no idea how to change it, much as I would love to.

7. spectre

spectre Parallels Team

You should have some Windows VM running for "Install Parallels Tools" button under "Actions" to become active.
    It's probably a good idea to boot your Windows VM in Safe Mode (hit F8 when Windows just starts loading at the boot screen), uninstall Parallels Tools using Windows Add/Remove Programs, then reboot Windows VM back to Normal mode and install Parallels Tools again.