Tools Patch Procedure

Discussion in 'Linux Guest OS Discussion' started by Mark Fine, Nov 28, 2020.

1. cheesi

cheesi Bit Poster

Hi community sorry I´m new to linux and parallels. Is there a proper guide how i can install parallel tool into 5.10.0-kali4-amd64.
    thanks for your support and help.

2. ChristianL3

ChristianL3 Bit Poster

I am not myself aware of any particular guide. There is however a good chance that the installation will start by itself, if you are running a modern window manager like Gnome. I do not know kali linux and thus have no idea what the default setup is. One can install the tools by hand, it is not complicated, but it is not something that I would recommend to somebody who does not know a bit of linux. Note also that one does not need the tools in order to run linux in parallels, it can work without, one only loses some of the integrations with the hosts Mac OS.

Have you read through the Parallels documentation?

3. JeffreyI

JeffreyI Bit Poster

Hi everyone, how long normally does a patch work? I got no response for about 10-15 minutes, and I just quit (ctrl-c). I copied via SCP (enabled remote login on my mac). then I did patch -p1. but it seemed to do nothing (not even the echo commands) for 10-15 minutes...

4. JeffreyI

JeffreyI Bit Poster

Update: worked with patch -p1 < <file>... so somehow redirection works...

5. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Kilo Poster

If it takes a minute to apply the patch to the code then it's gone on too long. Should be nearly instantaneous.
    However, rebuilding Tools with the patched files takes quite a long time though, because it essentially runs it three times - once for each installed kernel.