Transfer VM issue with PD16

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by csftech, Aug 11, 2020.

Tags:
  1. blhekai

blhekai Bit poster

i got the same bug?
    is there any new process?

2. Hello,
    Parallels Engineering Team are working on the resolution.
    They are continually working on issue that are escalated from our Support Team; however do not share an ETA for fix until one is available.

3. blhekai

blhekai Bit poster

I've just send the technical data log,ID is 351458665

4. Thanks a lot for the provided information.
    We've transferred to the the Parallels Engineering Team.
    Thank you for your cooperation once again.

5. Hello guys, we would like to inform you that Parallels Desktop update 16.1.0 has been release recently.
    Please update your Parallels Desktop version to the latest build and check the issue.
    Please share any results with us.

6. MarekK7

MarekK7 Bit poster

Hello,
    it didn't help. :(
    Marek

7. Hello, could you please make a screenshot of the issue and collect the tech report once the issue reproduced please?

8. Anton Kozhin

Anton Kozhin Bit poster

Hi Maria,
    I have sent the technical report on the issue - Report ID: 354501213.
    I'm using Parallels Desktop 16.1.0 and the pvmp file is still not opening due to a lack of permissions, although I have access to Read&Write both to a file and to a folder.

Cheers,
    Anton

Attached Files:

9. Anton Kozhin

Anton Kozhin Bit poster

@Maria@Parallels Hi Maria,
    It's been two weeks already since my post - maybe You could give us any news/updates on the topic?
    Thanks!
    Anton

10. Hi, please sorry for the delay in response, did you update your Parallels Desktop to the latest build, 16.1.1?

11. Anton Kozhin

Anton Kozhin Bit poster

Hi, @Maria@Parallels
    I did, but the problem still persists. I get the same message when I try to open VM archive (pvmp)
    Cheers,
    Anton

12. Could you collect the tech report once the issue reproduced please and post the report's ID here?

13. Anton Kozhin

Anton Kozhin Bit poster

14. AaronN1

AaronN1 Bit poster

Here's a workaround that worked for me:
    1. Move the pvmp and sha256.txt files somewhere safe.
    2. Create a new vm with the exact same name as the one you are trying to restore. It just needs to be created. You can immediately abort the OS install (Actions/Stop).
    3. Prepare the new vm for transfer in Parallels Desktop Control Center.
    4. In finder, move the pvmp and sha256.txt files from #1 over the files created in #3, replacing the new files.
    5. In Parallels Desktop Control Center, right click on the vm and "Open Package". Wait for the unpacking to complete.
    6. In Parallels Desktop Control Center, right click on the vm and remove it.
    7. In finder, double click the now-restored pvm directory. This will open in Parallels Desktop Control Center.
    8. Use as normal.

15. RomarioC

RomarioC Bit poster

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

But I got hit without knowing it was enough to double-click.

And I had to edit /Library/Preferences/Parallels/vmdirectorylist.desktop.xml to change the machine's UID according to the unzipped machine that contains your config.pvs

16. AnthonyM20

AnthonyM20 Bit poster

I've had something similar, I think.
    I had an archive of a Windows XP machine in a .pvmp file, which was stored on an external drive. I needed to access it again and so I dragged it into the Control Ccenter which seemed to be working. Then all of a sudden I got an error message (I was busy doing something else at the time and so I didn't really make a note of it), and now I'm left with what was previously a 60+GB file is now 20KB, along with a file called Windows XP.pvmunknownp.backup (perhaps linked to the EaseUS Data Recovery session I'm now running?), and a Windows XP.sha256.txt.

At first I thought I was just getting confused with my locations, and when doing a search for "pvmp" in Finder, it found not only the 20KB file, but still showed the 60+GB file in the results, too. When I right-clicked and chose Show in Finder, it took me to the 20KB version.

Although it's not ESSENTIAL that I get this machine back, I find this incredibly frustrating as it means I now have to undertake a lot of work to recreate it as it was configured to restore some very old data from an old Windows laptop backup. Is there something I can do to retrieve the data somehow?

17. MelanieL1

MelanieL1 Bit poster

HI, I'm in Control center and it packaged my virtual Windows machine in time machine. How can I unpack it? I have several files on there I need

18. Hello, please check this KB article for more information and let us know if it's not that case.

19. blarrowP

blarrowP Bit poster

I meet the same issue of Parallels 16.5.0, and send the technical report of ID 373221870, I can't prepare the image with Packer for this issue.

20. PavelS6

PavelS6 Bit poster

PD 17 Same problem :(
    Prepare pvmp file, but can't restore from it... You can not have permission :)