Transferring Files between VMs

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by wycliffe, Jun 16, 2007.

1. wycliffe

wycliffe Member

I am a new user with Parallels 3.0 runing on a MBP with 2.4ghz core duo and 3mb of RAM.

When I performed my first migration from my Dell laptop, it went perfectly until I tried to run my VM when I got a disk boot error. Upon talking to Parallels tech support, they disclosed it was very difficult to migrate information from Dell and Toshiba computers. So, I did a clean wndows XP S2 install and installed all of my windows programs all of which now works fine.

Here is my question, even though the first migration cannot be opened, I can access all of the files in My Documents on that install - and I wondered if there were an efficient way to move them or transfer them to my second VM installation which is running fine.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. wingdo

wingdo Pro

You should be able to open the images with Parallels Explorer and drag and drop them to either your OS X desktop or to another parallels explorer window which would have the disk image of your good (but non running) VM. I've never dragged and dropped between VMs, but it works fine to the os x desktop.

3. chabig

chabig Hunter

Or use Parallels Explorer to mount both hard drives on your Mac, and drag the files from one to the other.