Transporter and BIOS ID & SN of physical Windows machine

Discussion in 'Parallels Transporter' started by GordonR, Oct 27, 2010.

1. GordonR

GordonR Junior Member

Hi,

I am fairly new to Parallels - just received my Macbook pro with Parallels. Have been using Windows XP on a Dell laptop. I have some software installed that requires a key to install, and the key is based on BIOS properties.

I had a couple of questions -

If I use transporter, will it preserve the essential hardware IDs - BIOS especially, but also network MAC IDs, Windows SID, etc.?

If not, is "clone" the same as transporter, and if not, does clone do what I'm looking for (and how do I access it - I see the documentation for transporter, but do not see a reference to a clone utility).

I guess lastly, if it's the only option, could I create a VMware image of the physical machine and translate that image to Parallels for the MAC?

Thanks,

Gordon

2. Stuw

Stuw Parallels Developers

BIOS ID and MAC will not be migrated. But you can changed MAC of network adapter in VM preferences. Hard disk will be migrated sector-by-sector (with some exclusions), so SIDs must be preserved.

"Clone" means create a copy of existing VM.

Yes, Parallels Desktop supports conversion from VMware. To do this in Parallels Desktop 6 you need to open third party VM using File->Open.

3. GordonR

GordonR Junior Member

http://www.milliondollartarget.com/flash/2010/October272010_free/October272010_free.h

Hi Stuw,

Thanks very much. After using Transporter to convert a physical partition, can I modify the BIOS S/N, etc. to match what the physical machine BIOS identifiers were?

Gordon

4. Stuw

Stuw Parallels Developers

Please, check this forum topic: Manually setting BIOS serial number for use through WMI