Transporter does not recognize VMWare Fusion Virtual Machines

Discussion in 'Parallels Transporter' started by kevinw, Dec 23, 2008.

1. kevinw

kevinw Hunter

I have just tried to run Transporter 3540, with PD 4.0 and convert a VMWare Fusion VM to PD 4 but it won't recognize what I believe the VM file to be. It is located in the folder "VMWare Fusion VM Machine" and is called "Microsoft Windows 3.0 .vmarevm.

Am I missing something here? I originally converted the Parallels VM from version 3.0 to VMWare Fusion 2.0.1. Do I have to use the transporter from PD 3 to convert.

2. voobrajulia

voobrajulia Member

Kevinw,

Do you get any exact error when you try to choose VMWare Fusion VM file? You wrote that file name is "Microsoft Windows 3.0 .vmarevm" but the extension of file should be .vmwarevm.

3. kevinw

kevinw Hunter

My mistake it is .vmwarevm

The error message is "Unable to detect virtual machine type"

4. kevinw

kevinw Hunter

This is the exact path and name
    /Users/walsh/Documents/VMware Fusuion VM Machine/Microsoft Windows XP 3.0 .vmwarevm

Could the name be throwing it off with the extra "." in it ?

5. voobrajulia

voobrajulia Member

Could you please rename it to check if it could cause the case?

6. kevinw

kevinw Hunter

I changed the name to eliminate the extra "." hit continue and I am now getting the attached error

Attached Files:

7. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

What is the side of vmwarevm

8. kevinw

kevinw Hunter

Well John, you got me with that question. "What is the side of vmwarevm?" I am sorry I have no idea what this question means.

9. kevinw

kevinw Hunter

OKay I thought about your question and maybe your aksing which OS the vm is on? It is on a Windows CM on an iMac and I am trying to convery from Fusion to PD4 and import it the iMac. Is this what you are asking?

10. kevinw

kevinw Hunter

John - Voobrajulia - Anything?

11. John@Parallels

I am sorry, there was typo
    I meant what is the size of VmWare virtual machine?

12. kevinw

kevinw Hunter

Size is 35.5 GB

13. John@Parallels

14. kevinw

kevinw Hunter

Questions?
    I have everythign done up to running transporter, there are questions I do not know the answers to.
    1. Do I run Express or Advanced?
    2. If I run Express do I choose a) Local Physical Computer 2) Remote Physical Computer or c) Virtual Machine
    3. I do not see a "In place migration to a network share"
    4. It would help if you give me the terms actually shown on the menu's presented

15. John@Parallels

1. Do I run Express or Advanced?
    Express
    2. If I run Express do I choose a) Local Physical Computer 2) Remote Physical Computer or c) Virtual Machine
    Local Physical Computer
    3. I do not see a "In place migration to a network share"
    It is actually place where to store
    You need to enable Samba on Mac OS side and connect network drive from inside Vm
    -Samba http://lifehacker.com/software/mac-os-x-leopard/leopard-simplifies-networking-317033.php
    - Connect Network drive from Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308582

16. kevinw

kevinw Hunter

John

This is nuts! SAMBA?- I have no idea what SAMBA is. It certainly is not part of the Mac OS.It must be third party. Why would I need a 3rd party tool to do what Parallels Transporter should be doing? I certainly did not have any problems transfering this exact size VM from Parallels to Fusion becuz PD 4.0 didn't work. So why is it a problem coming back? Is there transfer agent that much better? There has to be better answers to this than what we have here.

17. John@Parallels

It is not third party, it is native Mac OS feature
    I am trying to narrow down problem, and following suggested steps will narrow problem

18. kevinw

kevinw Hunter

I did a searchf= for the application and mymachien does not have it on it. Where is it?

19. John@Parallels

I provided you links how to setup file sharing in my previous post

20. kevinw

kevinw Hunter

John

I still don't get where this is going and it certainly appears more complicated then I want to be involved in. Ergo I have resurrected my PD 3.0 VM and will agian try to upgrade to 4.0. Suggestions....

Also I wish someone from Parallels would just admit this whole upgrade is NOT going the way they planned. It can't be. There is no way this was tested by 100's of PD 3 VM's and their upgrades went 99% perfect. Maybe in the shop they did but this forum says otherwise. Wayyyyyyyy to many workarounds needed to get to an end, if you get there. I mean this can't be any more difficult then upgrading from XP to Vista? Any I have never had, heard or seen this many problems there.