Transporter in reverse (Parallels -> Boot Camp) ?

Discussion in 'Parallels Transporter' started by snak-pak, Jan 10, 2007.

1. snak-pak

snak-pak Member

Transporter looks like a great addition to Parallels, kudos to the Parallels developers.

I'm looking to do the reverse of Transporter... I have a VM of Windows media center edition that works fine in Parallels, but some of my USB devices are unusual (like my Gamma Ray geiger counter) and don't work. Therefore, I need to move my Windows installation into a Boot Camp partition to access all my USB devices... from there I should be able to dual boot *and* use the VM.

The big question is, how to do it. I can reinstall everything in Boot Camp, but this is a last resort because it takes a long time, and plus I will run into licensing issues with all my registered software (including Windows, my anti-virus, and so on) if I install all these a second time.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2007
  2. tfyoder1

tfyoder1 Bit poster

Parallels to Boot Camp - Norton Ghost doesn't seem to work

A Parallels to Boot Camp (BC) transporter would be great. Why re-invent the wheel, when the one you already have an ole' trusty version that works fine? I haven't had a chance to install a BC version of Windows. I just assumed that a function or method for moving my Virtual Machine over would come by default. Then again, with all the errors in having to re-validate Windows I keep reading about, makes me wonder why they even bothered in creating the BC reading ability if it cannot be used separately in native boot mode and within OSX:confused: .

I hadn't heard of the transporter at the time (actually how I ended up at this forum), and I was hoping to use Norton Ghost to create a backup of my Windows and install it in BC. I tried to create a backup and got several errors, mainly not recognizing my media I was trying to write to. Finally, I just ended up throwing in the towel after my 4th of 5th attempt and started searching the web for answers.

All in all, I think it is great progress that needs major fine tuning. I'd be glad to hear anyone else's success/failure stories in attempting a Parallels to Boot Camp transport!

3. stevesreed

stevesreed Bit poster

I have the same problem. Now that Parallels supports Boot camp partitions, I'l like to move my setup over to a single location. I never set up a boot camp partition previously.

I've spent a lot of time setting up windows under parallels in a virtual machine, and would love to avoid reinstalling everything on the boot camp partition.

Does running Transporter while parallels is running using a boot camp partition, then running the agent in a virtual virtual machine on a second Mac work? I could borrow a second Macbook pro from someone at work, if that is a viable solution.

4. datpete

datpete Bit poster

Parallels to Boot Camp

I second this request, for the same reasons as the others:

1. I would like to move my existing Parallels WinXP to a Bootcamp ditto, and then reuse this Bootcamp from Parallels - getting the best of both worlds
    2. I don't want to spend numerous hours reinstalling ~100 security patches from a fresh winxp install
    3. Also I don't want to re-activate all my Microsoft product licences

Please provide a means for this reverse Transporter!

5. Eagle246

Eagle246 Junior Member

Count me in!

I totally agree with what other have said, reverse transporter would be FANTASTIC. I have XP all setup exactly the way i want it up to date with all my software installed all running in a parallels VM. I got a bootcamp partition ready and waiting, but i really dont want to have to redo my entire setup, not to mention afore mentioned licensing and activation issues.
    So PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE could someone make or come up with a way to migrate from VM to Bootcamp??
    And clearly we are not the only ones who want this, this topic has almost more views than any other topic in the catagory, well over 700 at the moment. There is clearly a demand for a solution to this, so can someone PLEASE come up with one?

6. bamsaleg

bamsaleg Member

+1

I hope... this will allow me to have a fall back solution for all the networking / VPN problems

7. mamuesp

mamuesp Bit poster

And another one ...

The reasons had been told ... I'm making desperate efforst to clone a XP Partition to Bootcamp via Parallels - noc chance in this moment!

So I hope, the Parallels team has a solution ... :confused:

Manfred

8. mamuesp

mamuesp Bit poster

And another one ...

The reasons had been told ... I'm making desperate efforst to clone a XP Partition to Bootcamp via Parallels - noc chance in this moment!

So I hope, the Parallels team has a solution ...

Manfred

9. m1ss1ontomars

m1ss1ontomars Bit poster

granted i don't need a Parallels-->boot camp transporter (yet), i'd still like to see one.

10. edsilver

edsilver Bit poster

Update?

Anyone figure out if this can be done?

I'd love to figure out how to take my XP VM and when I want use it via BootCamp, and when I want just run it as VM.

-EdS

11. deadguy

deadguy Bit poster