Transporter Migration Problem

Discussion in 'Parallels Transporter' started by Rabbi, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Rabbi

Rabbi Bit poster

When trying to migrate using Transporter agent I get the following error message on my Mac: "Unable to find Parallels Transporter Agent. Make sure the FireWire connection is enabled and the Transporter Agent is running."

I have tried everything I can from the instruction manuals and can't get this to work. I am a "Brand New" Mac user and it is very frustrating. Obviously I am trying to migrate using a FireWire.

I am also getting an error message on the PC: "The specified volume has no room for the resulting image file. Evaluated image size - 40941Mb, available space - 16023Mb). Please select another destination for the image or free up some space on the specified volume."

I could really use some help.

Thank you,

Rabbi

2. bhbarick

bhbarick Bit poster

May I second Rabbi's commotion with respect to his filesize issue? What do we do to get past this one? I get the following (3-line) message from my Transporter Agent, in a message box that also includes a button bearing the caption "OK":

The specified volume has no room for the resulting image file.
    Evaluated image size - 63345 Mb, available space 6278 Mb).
    Please select another destination for the image or free up some space on the specified volume.

How, or where, did I specify ANY volume? I have no recollection of having done ANY such thing. We're running in a 7GB partition of a 100GB drive on the real machine, that has dual-boot configuration, WinXP Pro (in the source, the 70GB partition), and Ubuntu Linux in the remainder of the physical hard drive. We want to migrate each of these partitions, but we're trying, at the moment, to get the Windows partition into the iMac.

3. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

You can attach external USB disk

4. bhbarick

bhbarick Bit poster

John,

What possible good will attaching an external USB drive do me? The Transporter Agent never, in its preliminaries to the exercise, affords me any opportunity to tell it where to stash the "package" it's about to prepare. First, it tells me to wait while it gathers information about the exercise, then it comes along and tells me that the "parcel" it's fixin' to ship won't fit in the available space. In fact, I have a 500GB RAID NAS device which is accessible to both (real) computers that are involved in the migration, but that is every bit as useful as my plugging in a USB flash drive since I am never afforded an opportunity to direct the placement of the temporary storage. For that matter, I have a 1-GB flash drive plugged into the PC, but it seems that device is already more than 3/4 used!

Bruce

5. bhbarick

bhbarick Bit poster

We c'n close this isue. I think we've managed to get past it using the Advanced option instead of the Express. The advanced option afforded us an opportunity to indicate where we wanted to store the resulting files.

Now, to see if we can get a bootable set of files.

Thank you!

6. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

If you use external USB, you can save image on that,
    Anyway, keep in mind that you always have an option to perform in-place migration