Transporter - VMware Windows 2003 Server - No Operating System

Discussion in 'Parallels Transporter' started by tmckeel, Oct 13, 2008.

1. tmckeel

tmckeel Bit poster

I am trying to migrate a VMware Windows 2003 Server VM image to Parallels. When I try to open it with Transporter it tells me that there is no operating System installed but I can open it with VMware Fusion without an issue. Under Fusion I do get a warning about the SCSI driver set for the hard disk but it still works.

Any ideas? I would prefer to run this under Parallels if possible.

2. tmckeel

tmckeel Bit poster

Transporter version

I am running Transporter build 1456 on the Mac.

3. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Try to use Transporter from inside virtual Machine, as on real PC, and perform inplace

4. tmckeel

tmckeel Bit poster

Use Transporter from inside VMware session

I will give that a try but it is not a permanent solution for me as I work with a software company that issues new VMware drives on a regular basis that I want to run under Parallels. Temporarily I have a 20 day trial of VMware Fusion that I can use and I do not want to own two virtual technology solutions.

When is Parallels going to issue an upgrade to transporter to resolve issues like this?

5. John@Parallels

See private message

6. petro

petro Member

I'm running in to the same issue. Can I ask what was discussed in the private message? Is there a workaround? Thanks!

7. John@Parallels

What is the problem in your case?

8. petro

petro Member

In reading further through the forums, I think I've discovered that my issue is that converting a VMware linux image isn't yet supported by transporter, though it may be supported at some undetermined time in the future.

I'm trying to convert a redhat VMware Fusion image. Any other things I can try?

9. John@Parallels

Yes, you can, start Virtual machine and install Parallels Transporter for Linux, and migrate VM as simple real server

10. gllark

gllark Bit poster

Same Problem with Transporter in 4.0

Recently I upgraded to Parallels 4.0 and wanted to migrate my existing vmware WinXP-machine. Same Problem like the others. Transporter is telling that the machine has no operating system and that it can´t make it bootable. But it runs in vmware flawlessly. Any help what I could do? I don´t want to reinstall everything.

11. petro

petro Member

As john stated, you have to run the vmware image, download Parallels Transporter for Linux in to it, and run the application. It preps it for migration. Make sure you've got kernel sources for the exact version of the kernel on there. That's the step I'm stuck at. See other threads for info on exactly where the kernels should be stored. Something like /usr/src/kernel/2.6.22.1, and you need a symlink as well to /usr/src/somethingorother. Other threads have the details.