Tricky Installation

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Dreamy, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Dreamy

Dreamy Member

I would like to know if I did this thing right. I had to redo my computer, however I installed parallels direct from the parallels [ Not Boot Camp] was I wrong? Because now I cannot boot into windows only. I went to boot camp and saw I can Install windows but I would like to know if this will erase what I have installed before and will it function properly. Please advise..
    Thx

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

If you installed Windows from Parallels it is not Boot Camp, so you can install Windows from Boot Camp, but use Boot Camp assistant, not direct boot from CD

3. Dreamy

Dreamy Member

Tricky Install

Great but will that erase the one installed and install a fresh XP or will it install another XP on my machine?

4. ziba

ziba Member

Hi,

Just to make things clear:
    1. Parallels Desktop for MAC (the program itself, not windows Virtual machine) can be installed only on MAC partition.
    2. Using Parallels you can have Windows virtual machine which is running from boot camp or have a virtual machine that will exist as a file on your MAC hard drive.

If you already have Windows installed in boot camp then you can use this Windows with Parallels without reinstalling it. To do this you should run Custom installation mode of Guest OS and select "Use boot camp".

5. slabman

slabman Member

Boot Camp

I installed Parallels in a partition, WITHOUT using Boot Camp. Am having lots of issues with Parallels, so wonder if I can just eliminate Parallels altogether and run Windows through Boot Camp? What installations would be affected if I do this?

6. John@Parallels

if you uninstall Parallels Desktop you will not be able to access you Virtual Machine, otherwise you Windows Boot Camp will not be affected

7. slabman

slabman Member

Boot camp

Thanks, John, but I may have confused you with my wording. I DO NOT have Boot Camp installed, but wondering if I can use it instead of Parallels. Sorry, but just too many problems with Parallels and I don't know where to turn to for all the help I need.

8. John@Parallels

You need to install Boot Camp if you want Windows but do not want to use Parallels Desktop
    Or you can create support ticket

9. slabman

slabman Member

support Ticket

Thanks again, john,. I see the support section lists quite a number of support options, but where do I go for this support ticket? Sorry, I've never done this before.

10. John@Parallels

11. slabman

slabman Member

Just to be clear. If I set up boot camp, I need to create another partition on the HD, then re-load another copy of Windows XP into it? Does that mean I then have to re-load all my Windows programs that I want to use into the new guest opsys?

12. John@Parallels

Yes, you need to reinstall all software