Trouble using Family Tree Maker 2012

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by grajay, Mar 23, 2012.

1. grajay

grajay Bit poster

My iMac is a mid 2011 with 3.5GHz Intel Core i7, 8Gb memory & 2Gb of video memory (although I believe Parallels only used 250Mb).

I really want to use a program called Family Tree Maker 2012 (the Mac version is rubbish but the PC version is great).

My problem is that FTM 2012 will NOT run on my Parallels 6/Windows 7 installation - it just hangs at 'Application Initializing' & never gets any further. On the same machine under Bootcamp/Windows 7 the program runs beautifully & starts up in about 15 seconds.

FTM 2012 recommended system requirements are:

Operating System:Microsoft Windows® XP SP3 / Vista™ / Windows® 7 (32 or 64 bit)
    Processor: 1 GHz Intel Pentium® III (or equivalent)
    Hard Disk :700 MB for installation
    Memory:1 GB of RAM

I have all of this and more - currently the Ram settings are at 4Gb for Parallels out of the 8Gb installed on my iMac.

Can anyone give me advise on how to make this work please?

Thanks

2. Lynn-H

Lynn-H Bit poster

This worked for me

grajay, I ran into exactly the same problem. Ancestry.com was absolutely no help at all (I am a bit peeved with them, actually) - but somewhere on the web I found this tidy solution.

Create a new folder on your virtual machine desktop.
    Copy the contents of the Family Tree Maker 2012 install disk to the folder.
    Go to the folder and click the setup icon.
    End of problem.

Their setup disk is clearly at fault but they will not fess up to it.

3. grajay

grajay Bit poster

Thanks Lynn. Strangely enough the problem seems to have solved itself somewhere along the road. Maybe I did something like you suggested as after yet another install attempt FTM worked just fine.

It's a great pity that Ancestry didnt have the decency to make the latest Mac version wok the same as FTM 2012 - ah well.......

4. Lynn-H

Lynn-H Bit poster

Glad you got it to work

Grajay, that's good news. I think there is a completely different development group involved with FTM for Mac; Software MacKiev. According to Wikipedia, "Headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts, Software MacKiev has its main workshop in Kiev, Ukraine." I am not a great believer in outsourcing, much less offshoring. Be that as it may, Ancestry does not seem to want to acknowledge how problematic that software is, even though the forums are teeming with complaints. Sigh... anyway, Parallels 8 seems to work just fine.

5. DeirdreT

DeirdreT Bit poster

I had a similar program with the 2009 version and I went back to basics to see if I could solve the problem. I opened my Family Tree CD and copied the files to a USB stick (when I tried to load from the CD I received an error "not enough memory ..." and I couldn't get any further at all). I then connected the USB to my Macbook Pro and confirmed that I would use this with Windows and created a directory called Family Tree Maker 2009 in Program Files(X86) directory. I copied the files directly from the USB stick to the new directory. I then ran the installation program on the Macbook Pro and this installed fine. I did have to fiddle with the path name a bit for the Family Tree File as the working file seemed to save in different places on my IMAC and Macbook Pro but I have managed to get this working OK.