TrueOS desktop?

Discussion in 'Other Virtual machines' started by Parallels User, Jul 26, 2017.

1. Has anyone run TrueOS (a desktop version/port/spin of FreeBSD)? I am trying it as an alternative to Linux but the performance under Parallels is bad, especially mouse movement. Compared to Mint or even SuSE its very laggy and seems to have issues with the virtualization code. Since TrueOS uses ZFS by default is there any issue with that? Networking seems to work fine so far. There also does not seem to be any useful FreeBSD/TrueOS set of Parallels tools.

2. Frederick Fishel

Frederick Fishel Bit poster

Yes I checked out TrueOs, the install and boot ran fine but software update was abysmally slow and a cursory search didn't turn up any explanation or solution, so I,deleted the VM. I found a pretty good How-to on setting up FreeBSD as a graphical desktop if you have the time: https://cooltrainer.org/a-freebsd-desktop-howto/

3. Yup I had the same experience - in spite of a many years long acquaintance with BSD and its kindred. I actually have a CD of the i386 port done long ago. I also remember many a night bathed in the glow of a Sun workstation. I gave up on TrueOS as a interesting experiment. I'll try the FreeBSD page you linked to.

4. Frederick Fishel

Frederick Fishel Bit poster

I hope you find it worthwhile, it required my spending a fair amount of time editing config files and two episodes dealing with a broken boot process, but then I would not have learned much about single user mode otherwise

5. I'll give it a try when I get time.

6. hmaqiba

hmaqiba Bit poster

7. TrueOS seems to be going through a bit of a rough patch - they are splitting the GUI off and making the OS 'an official fork of FreeBSD" - what ever that means. I think I will use native FreeBSD as needed and stick to Linux and OS X.

8. priyankaa

priyankaa Bit poster

I have not tried but I will try