Trying to make multiple macOS VMs on M1 MAC

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by Ciggie, Mar 4, 2022.

1. Ciggie

Ciggie Bit poster

Hey dear Parallels users, a newbie here. I don't have experience with virtualization so my question might be totally clueless. Sorry in advance!

I'm trying to make 4 different sessions, systems, clones, whatever you call it, at the same time. Basically, I need to set up 3 macOS virtual machines on my own macOS. Also, I want to run some games on all 4 sessions. Am I able somehow to choose how much CPU/GPU power and RAM each machine gets, or does the software does it automatically? If anyone has experience with something similar or generally knows how things work please let me know.

If anyone is willing to help me set this up I'd be so much grateful cause I really feel clueless and I'd like to prevent waste of money if possible lol. I'm even considering paying for someone's help.

2. HaraldSt

HaraldSt Member

You can set up one machine and determine its configuration. You can then duplicate and rename that, import it, and change its settings.
    Drivers for Monterey Guests are still not fully baked. I am not sure they are useful for Games.
    Note that you can only run Apple Silicon Monterey guests - not Intel.

Ciggie likes this.
  3. Ciggie

Ciggie Bit poster

Hey, thanks for the reply! I tried a trial version but I didn't see that configuration part for each VM. I mean I chose macOS, it downloaded it, but I didn't see CPU/GPU part. Is that part of pro version maybe?

4. HaraldSt

HaraldSt Member

I just noticed that on M1 the Monterey Guest does not have a control panel! This is very different from Intel.
    Guess it is not fully baked.

Ciggie likes this.
  5. Ciggie

Ciggie Bit poster

Ahh then I guess it's not really possible to do what I wanted. Sad...

6. ArB

ArB Bit poster

Actually, you can't import a duplicate macOS VM. Another current Apple VM limitation...

7. RichardD30

RichardD30 Member

So I can't create an ARM macOS VM on one machine and then transfer that to another machine and run it?

8. Matein

Matein Bit poster

Hei, any new news about import and export a macOS ARM VM ?