Tuning Windows for Java Development

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by corywilkerson, Sep 4, 2007.

1. corywilkerson

corywilkerson Bit poster

All,

Haven't really researched much into the underpinnings of Parallels and memory management and was wondering if I could get some assistance/information.

Bottom line is that I want to use OS X as my primary OS at work, however, I'm going to need to work with a considerable amount of Java tooling (specifically RAD and Websphere Integration Developer (not Eclipse, RAD)) that will obviously have quite an appetite for memory.

That said - I'd like to give my Windows VM as much memory as possible (1500MB on a 2GB system) but I don't want to leave OS X memory hungry. My questions is - does allocating 1500MB of RAM to Parallels really reserve 1500MB of space for Parallels or are we just dealing with some sort of paging/swap mechanism that wouldn't leave OS high and dry?

Thanks for any help.
    CW

2. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

How much RAM do you have on OS X? If you have oodles, drop a gig or so to Parallels. If you have 2-4 GB, probably 768-1024MB is best. I had my XServe at 1.5 GB but I'm trying to sort out an issue, and so I'm just tweaking settings in the meanwhile. It worked fine and dandy, and blazing fast at 1.5 GB for 5 months.