Turn off USB connection while in VM

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by jesschoen, Jul 24, 2007.

1. jesschoen

jesschoen Member

I have a Palm that I sync some applications on the Mac and others in the Virtual Machine. However, I find that when I want to sync on the Mac side, the VM USB connection will not let go of the Palm sync such that it either launches the sync on the VM side or prohibits the proper sync on the Mac side (using Missing Sync for Palm).

Is there a way to absolutely suspend the VM USB connection for a short period of time while I sync on the Mac side. Right now I am limited to shutting the VM down while I sync on the Mac side.

Thanks for any help.

James

2. Purplish

Purplish Forum Maven

While you r VM is running (and in focus) look at the Parallels drop down menu at the top of the Mac screen.

Click Devices/USB/{your device}

In other words, your device should have a check mark next to it when it is connected to the VM. Click it to remove the check mark and disconnect.

3. jesschoen

jesschoen Member

Purplish--

Unchecking the USB device (in this case, the Palm) does not do the trick. It either reconnects by itself or when the sync is initiated on the Mac side, there is an error message on the VM side that the USB device cannot be connected or it reconnects on the VM side (the check mark is restored). In either case, the sync subsequently will not work properly on the Mac side using Missing Sync.

James

4. Purplish

Purplish Forum Maven

OK You may need to edit your virtual machine settings. You must do this with XP shut down (or before you lanch XP).

Click Edit/Virtual Machine... (You should now see the configuration editor)
    Click USB Controller

Device status should be enabled
    Autoconnect should be off (you may have to change this parameter with the VM running, from the Devices menu)
    Connection options should say "Connect to Mac OS" (or always ask - if you prefer)

After making your changes, say OK and restart your VM

5. jesschoen

jesschoen Member

Purplish--

I previously tried both of your proposed solutions--they did not solve the problem.

James

6. jesschoen

jesschoen Member

Purplish--

I should have mentioned that I did find a sort of work-around today. I found that by checking other USB port devices in the VM devices USB menu, up to the maximum permitted, I can then run the sync on the Mac side.

However, when doing so I do get an error message on the VM side saying that the max no. of USB devices are already selected (it's obviously trying to reconnect the Palm on the VM side). I just ignore the message and the sync proceeds OK on the Mac. Obviously, it would be nice to eliminate the error message...

James

7. Purplish

Purplish Forum Maven

Try rebooting.

8. jesschoen

jesschoen Member

Purplish--

I'm not sure what you mean by rebooting--it's much easier to check OK on the error message to turn it off rather than to do a reboot. Perhaps I don't understand your comment.

James

9. Purplish

Purplish Forum Maven

If you have changed the setting in your VM setup, yet OSX is still sending all USB requests to Parallels, you may have to reboot your Mac before the changes take effect. It may not work, but there is only one way to find out.

If you like your solution, that's fine.

10. jesschoen

jesschoen Member

Purplish--

Thanks, rebooting did the trick after I changed the USB setting to "connect to the Mac." Now, when I leave Parallels, I uncheck the Palm USB connection, go to the Mac and check the Missing Sync USB connection. Then when I launch a sync on the Mac side, Parallels does not try to launch the Palm USB connection. Each side is "well behaved" now.

Thanks again for your help.

James