Tweaking TCP Settings for Broadband

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by valechox, Jan 27, 2007.

1. valechox

valechox Junior Member

Hello and thanks for a great product!

With my broadband cable connection I achieve tremendous throughput after tweaking primarily the TCP Receive Window setting (65535) (although there are others including scaling (on), etc..) in the registry for the connected network adapter in a standard windows install on a dedicated box (no Parallels involved).

Is it OK or advisable to tweak the Parallels Network adapter similarly to achieve greater throughput?

Thanks!

2. syntrak

syntrak Member

I thought all the MTU tweaking etc etc was just hype. Does it really work ??? Where do you change the settings ??

3. valechox

valechox Junior Member

It does really work.....

Go here: www.dslreports.com

Tools - Tweak Test

A Java based test will run and then provide you with recommendations and tools to help. Windows OS primarily.

Although there is also an OS X tool here:

http://www.sustworks.com/site/prod_ottuner.html

I attempted to modify the Recv Window in the registry for the Parallels TCP stack and the 65535 original setting was always written back.

Is it changeable?

4. serv

serv Forum Maven

valechox,

Parallels does not replace Windows network stack.
    Parallels does not change/recover Windows TCP settings.

For what it's worth TCP window is actually dynamic (it depends on application settings, current packet loss rate, memory usage etc) and is a hint to connection peer (the peer need not use all of advertised space). You can not force it to be some particular value, you can only increase the maximum allowed value. Without doing any actual testing I would say the results of the test program may not be reliable.