twonkymedia server & llipd

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by crimespree, Jun 24, 2007.

1. crimespree

crimespree Bit poster

hi
    i have been having some trouble running the twonkymedia server upnp software alongside parallels, something in the parallels startupitems folders conflicts.
    have been perservering by uninstalling parallels then reinstalling when needed.
    i think i have managed to get it working by deleting the llipd file from startup items, what does this file do??
    i have also disabled the networks added to the system preferences,
    networking still seems to work in xp
    any help appreciated, thanks

2. crimespree

crimespree Bit poster

it is definately the llipd file, if it runs the upnp server resets every 60 seconds, without it starting up all is good,
    what does the file do?

3. TrevorFSmith

TrevorFSmith Bit poster

This process also seems to delay certain forms of network traffic, as well.

What does it do, because I can't work while it's running?

4. fred@thoughtfoundry.com

fred@thoughtfoundry.com Bit poster

Here is a workaround for llipd process slowdown

The "llipd" process seems to interrupt some of the processes and slows down the machine even when parallels is not being run.

so, I paused the process with this command and it definitely makes everything run faster when not running parallels. Even though parallels is not running, it is still slowing down all your other processes. As far as I can tell, llipd is the major culprit.

Here is how to pause the llipd process

sudo kill -STOP 130

(the "130" number at the end is the pid number of the llipd process)

you can get the pid number of the llipd process by running this command:

ps -wwax | grep llipd

If you want to run parallels, you must unpause the process by running this command:

sudo kill -CONT 130

###################################################

NOTE: Although you are using the kill command, if you use the "-stop" and "-continue" signals, you will only be pausing the active process. It will not really kill it. ( if you don't use the signal with these, it will kill it; the command to kill an app/process is "kill [pid]")