Ubuntu (11.04) "Unity" now fails on OSX Lion (10.7) with Parallels (6.0.12094)

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by adriann, Jul 22, 2011.

1. lilul

lilul Bit poster

thanx for th answers, guys!)

2. tworkemont

tworkemont Bit poster

The issue seems to be with an outdated driver. Probably does not support mesa 7.1 yet based on GLXSize.
    Code:
    #0  0x00007f201f835335 in PrlCtlUpdateGLXSize ()
       from /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/prlvideo_drv.so
    No symbol table info available.
    #1  0x00007f201f835d05 in PrlCtlCreateGLXDrawable ()
    #2  0x00007f201f830b7a in ?? ()
    #3  0x00007f201f8314bf in ?? ()
    #4  0x000000000042e2a9 in ?? ()
    #5  0x0000000000421a7e in _start ()

3. mohdf

mohdf Member

so confirm the parallels driver not up2date ? anyone from Parallels staff / moderator can verify and confirm this ? and why its still not being fix a.s.a.p ...

4. Mine did the same thing

Using Parallels 6 default install of Ubuntu I get the same issues. Big "green box" Lower right corner.

5. bob.cook

bob.cook Bit poster

7.0 has the same issue

Installed the new 7.0 last night, has the same issue. Switching off accelerated graphics (which causes the system to revert to the classic UI mode) works ok, but is unfortunate. Disappointing this is still an issue, I regret upgrading now and would not recommend the upgrade until this issue is resolved.

6. serv

serv Forum Maven

Bob, to fix the green square you need to update Parallels Tools in Ubuntu after upgrade to PD7.
    This fix will also be included in upcoming PD6 update.

7. bob.cook

bob.cook Bit poster

Thanks, yes that seems to have solved it. So far, looking good.

8. Samus22

Samus22 Bit poster

Do we have an ETA for when this issue will be fixed in PD6? I was late into the upgrade cycle in buying PD6 but not late enough to have been offered the free upgrade or even the upgrade assurance. I was quick in upgrading to Lion because Parallels sent out an email that with the latest update everything was fine. Now over a month has passed of the roughly 2.5 months that I've owned Parallels Desktop and the only current solution to this problem is to take another $50 out of my wallet. That is not a positive customer experience.

9. KentonT

KentonT Member

Resolved

This issue appears to now be resolved in the Parallels 7 Upgrade.

10. Jrh68uk

Jrh68uk Member

I'm afraid it's not solved in v7 :eek:(

This thread started with the fact that Unity would no longer work following Tools update 12094 for v6. The session would say something along the lines of not having the required hardware and would default to Classic.

There were also some screen artefacts (which I didn't see but others did) and these have apparently been fixed.

Sadly, after upgrading to v7 and updating Tools (14922), once again I'm told I don't have sufficient hardware and the session defaults to Classic. And, as before, if I restore my VM to the version with v6 12092 Tools installed, Unity works without a problem.

Not impressed!

I have the x64 Ubuntu 11.04 installed. Has anyone with this version got Unity working with v7 14922?

11. JEarles

JEarles Hunter

>> I have the x64 Ubuntu 11.04 installed. Has anyone with this version got Unity working with v7 14922?

It works for me.

Attached Files:

12. Jrh68uk

Jrh68uk Member

Thanks for the image. Had you upgraded the VM from v6, or is this a fresh install under v7?

At least this shows that it can work... cheers.

13. JEarles

JEarles Hunter

This was a V6 VM that was upgraded (including the Parallels Tools) to V7.

14. Jrh68uk

Jrh68uk Member

Hmm. Same as me then, yet mine breaks. I'm not sure what to do next but thanks for the confirmation.

15. Jrh68uk

Jrh68uk Member

OK, what I did next was to update to 11.10. I then removed PT and installed again. Success!

16. spawnflagger

spawnflagger Junior Member

alternate solution

I'm running Parallels 7 (7.0.15054) on Mac OS X 10.6.8.
    I have a 64-bit Ubuntu 11.04 guest VM, and it was working fine with Unity for a while. (even after upgrade from Parallels Desktop 6 to 7.) When I upgraded to the latest Parallels Tools though, Unity stopped working and hardware 3D stopped as well.

I tried to remove then reinstall the latest tools --> no luck.
    I then tried several older versions of the tools (14924, 12106, 12094, 12092, 12090) all with the same result - no Unity.

I made a copy of the VM, and in that copy I upgraded to 11.10. After that I reinstalled the latest Parallels Tools and it worked.
    ---
    I still wanted to have a working copy of 11.04 though, so back on the original I started looking through the /var/log/parallels.log. I noticed that it complained about not finding a 32-bit libGL. After some more digging, I found that the 32-bit libGL is actually just a symlink to the 64-bit, and that it's part of the package "ia32-libs". Reinstalling this, then rebooting fixed the Unity problem!

To reinstall ia32-libs, go to Synaptic Package Manager, search ia32-libs, right click the package, and choose "Mark for Reinstallation", then Apply.

After this success, I tried remove/install to the newest Parallels Tools (15054) and it worked as well, so the problem wasn't the version of the tools, just the fact that it was looking for a 32-bit libGL.

17. spawnflagger

spawnflagger Junior Member

also I found it extremely useful to be able to extract just the 8MB Parallels Tools for Linux.iso without doing a full install of several versions of the Parallels software... Check your ~/Downloads folder, you probably have the older Parallels installer .dmg's in there. Mount the .dmg by double clicking it (don't run the installer). Open a Terminal, then cd to /Volumes/Parallels Desktop {6,7} (use Tab key to automatically fill in the spaces), then
    (I recommend renaming to include the version number - i.e. cp Library/Parallels/Tools/prl-tools-lin.iso ~/Desktop/Parallels_tools_7.0.15054.iso )
    right click and "eject" the Parallels Installer .dmg.
    (cleanup)
    You can then mount that .iso to your VM like any other ISO (Devices menu -> CD/DVD1 -> Connect Image...).
    In Ubuntu, this should automount to /media/Parallels Tools/.