Ubuntu 20.04 LTS graphics very slow after upgrading to 17.1

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by AlexanderZ11, Oct 17, 2021.

1. AlexanderZ11

AlexanderZ11 Bit poster

I use Ubuntu every day, so I can notice the difference, never had this problem before. When I just type in RubyMine, I have to wait until the chars become visible, up to 1 second. When I collapse/expand folders, I have to wait. But when typing in terminal, in Chrome, LibreOffice no problem. You may say it is a RubyMine problem, but it worked fine on 17.0 and before, it works fine on macOS and Windows also.

I have an iMac 2017, 32 GB Ram, macOS 10.15.7, only one VM running. No hard background jobs, CPU load close to 3%. VM has 2 CPUs, 8 Gb RAM, 64 Mb graphics, 3d acceleration, more space. The Ubuntu installation is fresh, because previous Ubuntu VM did not load after upgrade, it boots and hangs forever on black screen. I had to create a new VM and migrate data from old HD.

Congratulations on improving the login screen, I was waiting for that so long, but you introduced another problem.

2. AlexanderZ11

AlexanderZ11 Bit poster

Also when I switch desktops with Ctrl+left/right from Mac to VM, it may freeze for a second. Never seen this before in last 10 years or so.

3. (GalaxyMaster)

(GalaxyMaster) Hunter

4. AlexanderZ11

AlexanderZ11 Bit poster

Thanks for the reply. As I said, my VM crashed and I already created a new one AFTER upgrading to 17.1 and migrated the data. So should I do all that manual steps? A took a quick look, virtio_gpu is blacklisted.

5. AlexanderZ11

AlexanderZ11 Bit poster

I did more tests, and the problem is different. I have virtio_gpu correctly installed. If I create a new project in RubyMine or PyCharm, typing is fast and responsive. But if I open a large project with many files and folders, everything is slow. Even if it detects I have a duplicate code, I change it and the inspection should update after few seconds, but now even after few minutes it does not update! If I scroll files list, expand/collapse folders, it's so slow that makes me crazy. All this never happened before 17.1. BTW I created another new VM to verify, the same. I use JetBrains products every day inside Parallels for 3-4 last years or so. Please fix or suggest something.

6. AlexanderZ11

AlexanderZ11 Bit poster

Hello again. This is getting very annoying. I cannot get used to this UI being so slow. I notice 60-80% CPU load when doing anything: opening a file, scrolling, typing. But almost 0, when doing nothing. Do you accept this as a bug? Do you have plans to investigate and fix? I am about to cancel my subscription and switch to VMWare or even Windows + WSL. Again, this was introduced in version 17.1.

7. SylwesterD

SylwesterD Bit poster

Good morning, I have exactly the same problem, especially when working withy PyCharm.

8. serv

serv Forum Maven

With Parallels Desktop 17.1.1 it is possible to enable OpenGL for java2d. Either add the following line to $IDEA_HOME/bin/idea.properties
    Code:
    sun.java2d.opengl=true
    Or set global java options in your ~/.profile
    Code:
    export _JAVA_OPTIONS='-Dsun.java2d.opengl=true'
    This should significantly improve IntelliJ/RubyMine performance.