ubuntu 6.06 server as guest on desktop3.0 for mac

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by scottyhill, Nov 26, 2007.

1. scottyhill

scottyhill Bit poster

i've tried installing ubuntu 6.06 server on my macbook pro 2ghz core duo with 2gb mem
    running os10.5,parallels build 5540, several times, using unknown linux 2.6 and ubuntu settings, and selecting
    the airport and ethernet and default network settings but it always hangs after the line
    uncompressing linux... ok, booting the kernel, but never boots.

is there some workaround to get ubuntu to boot after the install ?

maybe there is some kernel parameter i need to pass to it to get it to boot i guess, but i havent been able to turn up anything searching so far any help would be very appreciated.

cheers, keep up the good work parallels people.
    /sh

Last edited: Nov 26, 2007
  2. scottyhill

scottyhill Bit poster

3. scottyhill

scottyhill Bit poster

i tried following those directions, but it says it can't find package linux generic, though i can connect to the internet and find other packages, i guess thats not the name for my 6.06 server release.
    i also tried reinstalling with acpi=off but can't seem to get it going

4. scottyhill

scottyhill Bit poster

i tried apt-get install linux-image-2.6.15-23-386 too, but still says " Uncompressing Linux.. Ok, booting the kernel." but no joy. if anyone can toss any ideas my way that would be great

5. scottyhill

scottyhill Bit poster

6. scottyhill

scottyhill Bit poster

cut and paste does not work

ok, so isn't there support for cut and paste in my virtual machine ? my parallels issues seem to have no end. i tried to use the transporter a few times to get an image of my ubuntu servers, but its never worked either. I will be forced to resort to prayer soon.