Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by MitchB, Sep 30, 2007.

1. MitchB

MitchB Bit poster

NB: The workaround approved by users is in the post # 86 (installing Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon 7.10 and Parallels Tools).

Hi, I just installed Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon 7.10. With Parallels Tools installed, the X-server just keeps restarting. Should I wait for a Parallels update or should I try something else?

Output from X -version:

X Window System Version 1.3.0
    Release Date: 19 April 2007
    X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 1.3
    Build Operating System: Linux Ubuntu (xorg-server 2:1.3.0.0.dfsg-12ubuntu8)
    Current Operating System: Linux next 2.6.22-12-generic #1 SMP Sun Sep 23 18:11:30 GMT 2007 i686
    Build Date: 29 September 2007
    Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
    to make sure that you have the latest version.
    Module Loader present

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2008
  2. dsmccrac

dsmccrac Member

3. MitchB

MitchB Bit poster

I actually did a distupgrade like described in your link. When the upgrade finished it could'nt load X. When I removed Parallels Tools, it loaded just fine.

I have tried to reinstall Parallels Tools, but it still prevents X from loading properly.

Which logs do you think I should dive into to get an error message?

4. dsmccrac

dsmccrac Member

You are right, Parallel Tools kills Ubuntu 7.10

Sorry MitchB, you are right. Once tools is installed (I forgot that I had not installed it yet on my 7.04 ubuntu) everything craps out and removing it fixes things. And the tools are fine on 7.04 (I had a VM of that still kicking around).

I have no clue as of yet to suggest where we should start looking and would appreciate any other ubuntu users chiming in at this point ;-)

The only other thing I can add to this at this point is that obviously there is an issue here and it is not just something that you are experiencing.

5. MitchB

MitchB Bit poster

I just loaded 7.4 from my backup. I'm not expecting a fix anytime soon..

6. krojdest

krojdest Bit poster

Use vmware it just works

It looks like parallels just dedicated to support windose. SHAME! lamers

7. chosenken

chosenken Junior Member

I haven't had any issues using Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon. I installed it from a Beta disk about a week ago, and have had little issue. Parallel tools installed fine, and had no X-Server issues. On a couple of times though, when I would boot GDM would complain about Desktop Settings failing to start. Rebooting the system would fix it though. Don't know what to say....I have had very little issues with Parallels, period. Windows, Linux, Solaris have always worked fine for me.

I would say try again with the latest disk from ubuntu.com. They are now on Release Candidates so it should be even more stable. Could have been an issue with Ubuntu and not Parallels, you never know.

EDIT: I should note that I used the Alternative cd instead of the live boot cd. I prefer the alternative because I have more control over partitioning. And it is faster because your not running a whole operating system while installing.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2007
  8. MitchB

MitchB Bit poster

I will try a distupgrade once it's release. Thans for the update :)

9. fbronner

fbronner Pro

Well 7.10 rc version with the alternate CD, parallel 5162 and it finally worked correctly. I have now the linux parallel tools which worked without screwing up the install.

Now all I need to do is upgrade the 7.10 to the latest and greatest and see if it screws up anything (there is now an update available for KDE).

10. neilio

neilio Member

"parallel 5162" - I'm not seeing that build available for download. Didn't you mean 5160?

11. fbronner

fbronner Pro

It is a download if you have some bizarre issues. It isn't advertised, but found a link in the groups here. I tried it hoping it would help with my openSuSE 10.3, but it did not make a difference.

My 7.10 works, but I don't think it has to do with the 5162, I'm guessing they repaired KDE, as I had found that the parallel tools weren't breaking X in the 7.10 rc as much as KDE couldn't start anymore.

12. pkasin

pkasin Bit poster

I'm just getting a contninual error after I upgraded and try to reboot saying "The display server has been shut down 6 times in the last 90 seconds. It is likely that something bad is going on. Waiting for 2 minutes before trying again on display :0..

13. reidit

reidit Bit poster

I've tried doing a clean install using both the standard and alternate CDs for Ubuntu 7.10 (downloaded today from http://releases.ubuntu.com/releases/7.10/) and get the same error. The same thing happens if I try to boot into 7.10 using safe graphic mode! (I'm using Parallels 3.0 Build 5160 on a 15" MacBook Pro running 10.4.10, 2.33GHz with 2Gb RAM).

14. pkasin

pkasin Bit poster

I have the same system and setup with the exception that I have 4gb Ram (I should know better than to have posted without this info...)

15. fbronner

fbronner Pro

I have Kubuntu 7.10 rc installed successfully, this is how I did it.

Downloaded the Alternate CD iso file.

Created a new Parallel VM machine with ubuntu selected. I defined the machine to have 512 Mb of RAM and 32Gb expanding disk. Selected the default values, and let it finish.

Once it rebooted, I opened a terminal session using Ctrl-Alt-1, then selected to install the linux tools in the parallel menu.

I used
    sudo mount /media/cdrom
    cd /media/cdrom
    sudo sh parallels-tools.run
    sudo shutdown -r now

And that's it its working fine.

Last night I ran adept to update all of the packages which pushed in the KDE 3.5.8.

I have to check what is the difference between what I have which is running and the current full release, otherwise its running fine.

16. pkasin

pkasin Bit poster

This is what I found on the Ubuntu website. I am very unskilled when it comes to Linux. Can anyone give the the instructions how to get this file edited? I believe this may be the cause of my blank screen and attempts to reset screen resolution.

Blank screen with some ATI hardware
    People with ATI display adapters may get a blank screen when loading X due to the driver being unable to initialize certain hardware. Upstream is working on it, and hopefully we'll be able to release an update for 7.10 soon after the release. In the meantime, add 'Option "LVDSBiosNativeMode" "false"' to the driver section of xorg.conf. Bug #132716

17. oneway23

oneway23 Junior Member

pkasin, I;m in a similar predicament with identical specs. Has your fortune improved?

18. pkasin

pkasin Bit poster

After numerous reboots and video card reset attempts, finally the desktop started. At this point, I went into "Screen and Graphics Preferences" and Selected VESA (Generic VESA Compliant Video Cards) and a generic LCD Panel 1024 x 767 with a 61hz refresh rate. Now I am doing fine and rebooting is perfect.

I am sure my graphics card is not using the right drivers, but the Ubuntu site says that drivers will be coming for ATI compatible video cards... I believe on my MBP that this is the issue.

Paul

19. CaptSaltyJack

CaptSaltyJack Member

Anyone have luck installing Ubuntu 7.10 on Parallels? I keep getting the "The display server has been shut down 6 times in the last 90 seconds" error.

20. pkasin

pkasin Bit poster

Yes, I installed it - no problem, but it was slow going on the download.