Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by MitchB, Sep 30, 2007.

1. ptighe

ptighe Bit poster

I'm having the same issue as Hellfried, except I don't even get to "Y", just says can't install. I've opened the CD icon, see only 2 files, all titled in gibberish. Any help?

2. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello Ptighe,

Did you try the steps proposed in the post 77?
    If you did, on which step things went wrong? What exactly?

Best regards,
    Xenos

3. Vidarsf

Vidarsf Bit poster

This just doesn't work for me.. Ok, heres what I've done:
    After reading different guides on the internet I installed Ubuntu 7.10 with the alternate version. The installation was completed succefully and the last step I did, was hitting restart to complete the installation. When it restarted I got the problem with the "flicking" screen - x-server trying to load. And heres where the fun begins.. But it won't go far.. :p I can't do anything here. I've tried to hit the combination in your walkaround-guide step 2, tried to hit F6 and so on.. It won't respond.. If I write commands and hit enter, nothing is happening.. Anyone experienced the same problem?? Solutions??
    (I'm using Parallels desktop 3.0 build 5584)

4. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello Vidarsf,

I've asked one of our engineers to reproduce the issue you are describing. I will let you know as soon as he gives me an answer.

Best regards,
    Xenos

5. VintageGeek

VintageGeek Member

Just doesn't work for me either. I thought Parallels had this fixed Their notes in the latest update said something to that effect. I've had no other problems with earlier versions of Ubuntu or CentOS. Maybe I'll try it under VMWare. VG

6. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello VintageGeek and Vidarsf,

Did you have a look on the article How to install Ubuntu Desktop 7.10 in Parallels Desktop 3.0?

When the installation is finished succesfully, install Parallels Tools:

In Parallels Desktop menu bar click Actions -> Install Parallels Tools.
    You will see Parallels Tools disk mounted on the desktop and the autorun window will open (just close it).

Open Terminal and run the following commands:

cd ..
    cd ..
    cd media
    cd cdrom0
    sudo sh parallels-tools.run

We have checked - Parallels Tools get installed on Ubuntu 7.10 (both Leopard and Tiger as Host OS).

Best regards,
    Xenos

7. Vidarsf

Vidarsf Bit poster

Thank you for your help so far Xenos!!

The thing is, that when the installation is done, ubuntu want you to restart. And thats also what it says in the article you linked to.
    And it's after this reboot my trouble begins..

But I will try to install ubuntu again, and skip the reboot (if thats possible) so that I can install Parallels Tools before I reboot.

8. SamuëlM

SamuëlM Junior Member

No idea how it comes, but it seems to be impossible to install Ubuntu 7.10 in PD 3.0. I purchased a license because I use Microsoft Windows XP Home on daily base within Macintosh. The pc always runs Macintosh and Windows together.

I tried many times to install Ubuntu, and everything goes fine. Except for one function: Ubuntu doesn't find my network connection. I use adsl via ethernet, nothing wireless. Microsoft Windows XP Home has no problems with going online, but in Ubuntu, that is the only part that doesn't work.

Now the question is: How do I solve the problem?

When I tested Ubuntu in VMware Fusion, the network was found immediately, but I had only 2 weeks to test it. And I already paid for a PD code, so I wont buy WMware Fusion as well.

9. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello SamuëlM,

Please tell, are you using Bridged Ethernet or Shared Networking?

Network connection can be lost for a number of reasons. First of all, please check, if disabling Firewall and antivirus programs will help.

Best regards,
    Xenos

10. SamuëlM

SamuëlM Junior Member

I tried Bridged and Shared, nothing works. And disabling the firewall is not an option because it is the only way I keep my pc safe. There is not a virusscanner installed. Only the Apple Firewall. I use Mac OS 10.5.2

11. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Which one are you using at the moment - Shared or Bridged?
    You can try disabling Firewall on Mac side just to check if it's causing the problem or not. If it is, you should ask Apple Support. If not - we'll keep on investigating.

Are you using VPN? Keyspan?

Could you please run ifconfig command in Terminal and send me the output?

Best regards,
    Xenos

12. SamuëlM

SamuëlM Junior Member

I don't see an option to disable the firewall. Because I tried many times to install Ubuntu and it failed over and over again, it is temporary gone.

I have one MacBook which has a wired connection to the adsl-device connected to the telephone line. No internal or external networks. Only this set up.

13. SamuëlM

SamuëlM Junior Member

I've given up trying to install Ubuntu in PD 3.0. No idea where to problem is by I think that it is simply impossible to do so. The problem can't be the firewall, because in VMware Fusion I can install Ubuntu really easy. The only problem there is that Ubuntu can't use Unity. Maybe in the future I try a reinstall of Ubuntu in PD, but for the next few months, I stop trying.

14. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

SamuëlM, I thought you did install Ubuntu 7.10:
    everything goes fine. Except for one function: Ubuntu doesn't find my network connection

And if network connection is the only problem, it's most likely nothing to do with the Guest OS (Ubuntu 7.10).
    So I've been trying to get more details on your network problem.

If you can not install Ubuntu 7.10, I'd like to know more about this particular issue.
    Did you install Ubuntu or did you launch it from a live CD without installing in VM?

Best regards,
    Xenos

15. SamuëlM

SamuëlM Junior Member

Because it kept failing, I deleted it.

I tried both with running without installing and with installing. No luck.

16. canarcane

canarcane Bit poster

Works for me!

Just a quick note to say that the steps outlined by MaximS in post 67, and Xenos in post 86 enabled me to install Umbuntu 7.10 within Parallels 3.0 (build 5584) and install Parallels Tools fairly quickly. I installed Umbuntu from a downloaded disk image, and everything seems to run OK.

One thing I have to do after Umbuntu starts, is click on Network Settings on the menu bar at the top of the screen and select "Wired Network" every time I log on. (This may be similar to the issue SamuelM has raised).

Thanks to previous posters to this thread, and the excellent support from the Parallels Team to give me the help that I needed.

17. wotaskd

wotaskd Bit poster

I guess because there are a lot more Linux distros (and subsequent software update changes) to support...

Still hoping to see support for Parallels Tools with Fedora Core 8... :)

18. jerraldo

jerraldo Bit poster

flickering X server problem at start of install.
    Intel I Mac.I parallels).
    Can anyone help?
    Jerraldo.

19. jerraldo

jerraldo Bit poster

Have you had any sucsess with your Gutsy download yet?
    I have the same problem.( shut down six times in the last 90 seconds)
    Many confusing replies!!

20. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello Jerraldo,

Please follow the instructions of the post # 86.

Best regards,
    Xenos