Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by MitchB, Sep 30, 2007.

1. jerraldo

jerraldo Bit poster

gutsy gibbon

First of all I would like to say many thanks for your kind reply.
    However:I am sorry to say that I am not able to follow those very technical instructions.
    I have no doubt that this is the way,but it seems a pity that installing a
    new distribution of Linux Is so tricky.
    I have purchased two discs already and have to wonder how many other ordinary
    guys there are like me who would like to use Linux but are put of by the need to
    be a geek!
    why does Linux release these things before all the bugs are eliminated?
    Once again thank you for your very efficient service.
    Jerraldo.

2. jerraldo

jerraldo Bit poster

Hi I have exactly the same problem.
    So far no solutions that I can understand.
    One wonders why Linux does nothing about these problems!
    Jerraldo.

3. jelks

jelks Bit poster

Thanks Xenos, but for some reason the mounted "Parallels Tools" CD shows gibberish, both by a simple `ls` in Terminal as well as double-clicking on the desktop icon. So naturally, it can't find `parallels-tools.run`.

Any advice?

Thanks,

Jelks

4. jerraldo

jerraldo Bit poster

Hi, I also say Thanks to Zenon,but I never get past the message that says
    "something bad is happening"acompanied by a flickering screen.
    I cannot install Parallel tools without an installation of Linux obviously.
    I am sorry to keep on;but I have no trouble with previous versions.
    Living in Hope.
    Jerraldo.

5. jdandrea

jdandrea Junior Member

Post #86 works - thanks! Someone promote that to the front of the thread pronto. :)

6. heafnerj

heafnerj Member

I have tried EVERYTHING in this thread and other threads and changing screen resolutions simply does not work in Ubuntu 7.10. I have installed Parallels Tools multiple times, and it still doesn't work. No matter what settings I choose, Ubuntu always reverts back to the default 800x600 mode. I can't find a consensus on what video driver to choose or what monitor to choose; nothing works.

I'm running PD 3.0 build 5600, OS X 10.5.3, MacBook Pro Core Duo.

7. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

For now situation is follows, build 5604 contains partial support for Parallels Tools in Ubuntu 8.04, in build 5608 those tools removed and fixed Parallels Tools will be available in next build, but 7.10 is fully supported, may be you changed xorg.conf?

8. heafnerj

heafnerj Member

9. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Hm..,
    This is unofficial, and can affect Ubuntu running (not sure how, but it is possible), we are trying to follow only official Apple updates, perhaps you can try to reinstall X11 on Mac and check, or try on another machine

10. Energy Recruitment

Energy Recruitment Bit poster

Compiz Fusion is enabled by default and will bring 3D desktop visual effects that improve the usability and visual appeal of the system. Ubuntu 7.10 automatically detects whether the hardware is capable of running compiz; if not, it falls back to normal desktop. Additional effects can be enabled in "System/Preferences/Appearance" under the "Visual Effects" tab. There you can also disable the effects entirely.