Ubuntu 9.10 support?

Discussion in 'Linux Guest OS Discussion' started by SilvrDrgn, Oct 29, 2009.

1. SilvrDrgn

SilvrDrgn Member

Ubuntu 9.10 has been released!! Is Parallels 4.x Desktop for Win/Linux and Parallels Tools going to be updated soon to fully work with the new version of Ubuntu Linux???

2. HruntingJ

HruntingJ Bit poster

64-bit Ubuntu 9.10 doesn't work at all

Yeah, it'll be great when this actually works. I upgraded my 9.04 VM to 9.10 and after it rebooted, it does not detect the virtual hard drive at all. It's effectively dead. I've seen reports from other people in the Ubuntu forums about the same thing. Ubuntu Karmic Koala 64-bit (server, desktop, etc.) does not work with Parallels 4.0.x.

3. scawa1952

scawa1952 Bit poster

@HruntingJ

It seems that it took a while for 9.04 to be supported by Parallels.... Any idea how long it will take for 9.10 to be supported? Any idea how to get Parallels to get off their tail and get support for it?

Or has anyone installed their Debian Virtual Box? and then upgraded using Apt to create a decent Linux box. I really don't need Kubuntu, it just seems to be the easiest way to get a 64 bit Linux in Parallels

4. HruntingJ

HruntingJ Bit poster

Fat Chance

@SilvrDrgn

Good luck. I've only had Parallels for a short time, but I've found their customer support to be completely lacking. I can only imagine how unresponsive their technical support will be.

5. scawa1952

scawa1952 Bit poster

Support Ticket: #802299: Ubuntu 9.10 not supported

In the Ubuntu/Kubuntu forums there were several posts dealing with the problem of a "virtual" hard drive not being recognized on previous versions. The upgrade from one release to another seems to be a continuious problem. Reading as far back to 8.10. There were several solutions about how the FAT and boot loader worked and changing the settings there. I will try to implement one of those and see if it works. I'll post here with the results.

I also started a support ticket.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  6. scawa1952

scawa1952 Bit poster

I started a ticket in the support system

802299: Ubuntu 9.10 not supported

Wonder how long it will take to get an answer or a fix?

7. IgorG

IgorG Junior Member

I have discussed with responsible guys and they have informed me that it is known issue and problem under developer's investigation now. I think that solution will be provided soon. But note that I haven't any ETA.

8. scawa1952

scawa1952 Bit poster

I have just upgraded from Parallels 4.0 to 5.0.

It was an excellent upgrade and very easy.

Ubuntu/Kubuntu 9.10 is totally supported in 5.0 and I was able to intsall/upgrade Parallels Tools in 9.10 completely.

I had 9.04 installed and then used the Kubuntu upgrade to upgrade to 9.10.

I had three problems which resolved themselves upon restarting the 9.10 VM.

1) My mouse cursor dissappeared completely. It was recognized by Kubuntu, but was not visible. After restarting the VM it came back
    2) The screen resolution dropped to a lower resolution. Upon restarting the VM I was able to re-establish the 1900x1200 resolution I had under 9.04.
    3) The sound was coming through the "internal" speakers not the "line-out". Again, after restarting the VM, all was good.

I don't know all the feature upgrades of Parallels 5.0, but I am exploring them. Another nice thing, however was that my Windows 7.0 VM ran smoother.

If you are hung on getting 9.10, I would suggest upgrading to Parallels 5.0

Stephen McConnell

9. HruntingJ

HruntingJ Bit poster

@scawa1952: I also upgraded to Parallels Desktop 5.0 and with Ubuntu 9.10 64-bit, it came up (slowly, but it eventually found the disk and moved on).

10. SilvrDrgn

SilvrDrgn Member

Unfortunately, Parallels 5.0 is not an option for me (yet?) since I'm using Windows as a host platform. Still want Ubuntu 9.10 64-bit to work in my Parallels Desktop 4.0 for Windows/Linux installation!

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  11. BenjaminM

BenjaminM Bit poster

Confirmed

As of February 4, 2010, still no support for Ubuntu 9.10 (server) on Parallels Desktop 4.0.

Upgraded to PD5 solved problem.

12. Andres Sua

Andres Sua Bit poster

Ridiculous

It is February 26, 2010, and still there is no support for installing Ubuntu 9.10 on parallels 4.0. I just bought the software a couple of months back. And to get Ubuntu running NOW I NEED TO UPGRADE to Parallels 5.0??? RIDICULOUS!

I'll make the upgrade allright, but to VMWare!!!!

13. Ray

Ray Member

As an ex 2.2 Parallels user thinking of upgrading this give me great cause for concern. It would appear that the support for the Windows?Linux version of Parallels is just as neglected as it was back in the old days - everything for the Mac and the original Windows?Linux users left behind.

This version 4 showed a lot of promise too. I think I might hold back on the upgrade for a while and see what happens.

Ray