Ubuntu Display Problem

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by EricL5, May 12, 2016.

1. EricL5

EricL5 Bit poster

Was using it fine on my Macbook Air, upgraded to retina 12" macbook and I get a display problem.

Even reinstalled from scratch and get the same problem. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. Arunn

Arunn Parallels Support

Hi EricL5, follow the steps given below:
    1. Go to Configure > Hardware > Video > Disable 3D acceleration.
    2. Restart your virtual machine and check how it goes.

3. Mario3

Mario3 Bit poster

I'm having the exact same issue. If I disable 3D acceleration, it won't log in at all.
    This issue appears after installing parallels tools.

4. Mario3

Mario3 Bit poster

I managed to fix this issue, I hope this helps someone else.
    It's a problem on the Parallels Tools side, but you can try the following workaround:
    • Install the VM, but not the tools (if you already have a VM with the tools installed, remove them)
    • Shut down the VM
    • Disable 3D acceleration in the VM configuration Window
    • Boot up the VM
    • Install Parallels Tools
    • Reboot the VM
    It should work now. If you have installed the tools with 3D acceleration enabled, there is no way to fix it unless you first remove the tools.
    As a side note, if you do want 3D acceleration, you can re-enable the option once the steps above have been followed in that order.

Mario.

5. AmbroseL1

AmbroseL1 Bit poster

I can confirm this. And in fact I reported it twice now to support, but they are ignoring me. How do you uninstall Tools if the screen goes wacky every time you try to login?

6. Mario3

Mario3 Bit poster

You can do it using the console. I don't have Parallels on this computer, but if I remember correctly, you need to do ctrl+alt+f1 (there is an option somewhere in the Parallel's menu to send this command to the VM, I believe in devices/keyboard). Once you reach the console, log in, cd into /usr/lib/parallels-tools, and execute the install binary. You'll be given the option to upgrade or to remove the tools, choose the latter, and then reboot :)

briansk likes this.
  7. rojaa

rojaa Bit poster

i am having the same problem in 2020...