Ubuntu guest, symbolic links in shared folders.

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by beta_prem.mallappa, Mar 23, 2010.

1. beta_prem.mallappa

beta_prem.mallappa Bit poster

Hi,
    I couldn't find any related topic, also I couldn't get much information googling around.

Could anybody tell me is it very difficult to support symbolik links in prl_fs filesystem, is there a ready patch available ?

I use Linux guest as development box, and all related folders are shared between my Mac and Ubuntu. the development tools create symbolic links while compilation and it fails.
    I do understand there are more than one solution available.
    - I can either move all development folders to Guest
    - setup NFS between, guest and host.

This is more of convenience, and both VMware/VirtualBox support symbolic links, It would really help evaluate Parallels if someone can give a quick fix.

Cheers,
    /PRem

2. abs

abs Bit poster

Hello Parallels Team,

Is there any information about support for creating Symbolic Links on a guest Linux VM inside a mounted Parallels shared folder?

Can you please indicate when you will support this important feature? Or never?

Is there a work-around solution through configuration in the guest Linux VM?

Thank you in advance for your response.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2011
  3. jaety

jaety Bit poster

Also interested in this topic.

I'd just like to also register interest in this question. Suggested workaround?

4. DeanM

DeanM Bit poster

I'm also interested in a workaround here. Any suggestions?

5. Peter.G

Peter.G Bit poster

I too would be interested in timeframes, workarounds or solutions to this.

I just migrated from VirtualBox to Parallels and have eventually discovered that the lack of symlink support is the source of my woes.

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

6. JackMm

JackMm Member

I'd like to join in that symbolic links aren't working with Parallels Desktop 6 with Windows XP, Windows 7 either. It's really hindering my workflow when I'm testing webservers, etc.

It would really be appreciated if anyone from this company would actually address this thread and let us know if there are ever any plans to fix this issue?

HELLO?

7. nanoANT

nanoANT Member

Dear Parallels, I have just hit the "no symlinks in Shared Folder" problem too. Quite a nasty surprise. Can we have some ETA whether or if it would be supported at all?

8. diego10

diego10 Bit poster

Hi, I also found this problem. As the first poster pointed out, I could use NFS but using the shared folder functionality is much more convenient- specially for my set up. Any information about the issue somewhere?

Thank you,
    Diego

9. juzci

juzci Guest

Hi guys,
    thank you for your feedback! We will investigate the problem.

10. JackMm

JackMm Member

I really hope Parallels addresses this issue VERY soon. Been waiting on the is fix for a very long time. Symlinks work fine in Crossover, etc. This really hinders my workflow when testing browsers via Parallels which is one of the ONLY reasons I even purchased Parallels in the first place. As it is now, I'm forced to upload to a webserver just to test code when using Parallels.

This is a horrible situation.

11. scrotty

scrotty Bit poster

Juzci, Parallels, Any news? This has rendered Parallels useless for my needs.

12. nanoANT

nanoANT Member

There were few updates to Parallels 7 so far, but none have fixed this problem. So how long it takes to investigate symlinks problem? It has been over month so far. Taken symlinks are basic UNIX feature makes using Linux on shared drives (PSF) useless and of course Parallels product incomplete.

13. ScottRoland

ScottRoland Bit poster

True for all Linux guests; also for competitors

I have a Fedora 14 guest that has the same limitation, no hard links in shared folders.

This seems to be a problem for all of the Mac virtualization software; VirtualBox still has an open ticket for it:
    https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/818
    And I can verify that VMware Fusion 4.1 also has the same limitation.

14. nanoANT

nanoANT Member

Scott, we are just complaining about lack of symbolic links suppport, not hard links (which is different and indeed problematic story). VMware symlinks are just fine, moreover symlinks created on host and shared work fine too in Parallels guest so I really cannot see any problem with the implementation other than complete lack of will from developers.

Moreover we were promised by juzci that staff will have a look on the problem, but there's no response so far.

15. icecream

icecream Bit poster

i'll also register this as an issue for me.

16. JackMm

JackMm Member

Scott, just to chime in with nanoANT, we are referring to symbolic links not working which is kind of awful for a VM not to work with considering the only reason many of us work with VM's in the first place is because we work with development things that can often utilize such symbolic links.

The sad thing is Crossover works perfect with symbolic links. I find it's quite a drag to work with Parallels in many situations because of this issue.

17. icecream

icecream Bit poster

any of the Parallels devs like to comment on if this is every going to progress? last we've heard is over 1.5 years ago. we have paid for your product, a simply reply on a forum isn't asking too much.

18. nanoANT

nanoANT Member

I've submitted that as support issue (ticket) May 10th, after short explanation this isn't feature request but actually incomplete implementation of prl_fs module as symlinks are POSIX standard supported by both host & guest, this was accepted at May 14th. Parallels engineer's manager has replied to me that this was put on the TODO list, but unfortunately they cannot give ETA, as anyway noone does. So it is already 2 years from this thread start, and it just turns out that this forum has lowest priority and we shouldn't count on any reply or action from Parallels posting just here.

So I recommend for everyone subscribed to this thread to go to support.parallels.com and create a new ticket, you can set that this is related to #1379443 which is my original entry that is already closed. This may speed up the whole process and put some pressure on developers. Still I guess my issue hasn't high priority, as there were already couple of updates, none addressed the problem.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  19. JackMm

JackMm Member

This really lowers my respect for the developers of this application. To not have symbolic link support for an application that portends to be used by developers is laughable. I'm switching to their competition.

20. juzci

juzci Guest

Guys,
    we do care actually - it's really hard to implement in current realization of shared folders, but we're investigating the thing. Sorry for inconvenience.

Regards,
    Hanna