Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex and Parallels tools

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by bryanchapman9999, Oct 3, 2008.

1. bryanchapman9999

bryanchapman9999 Bit poster

Hi,

I have the latest Parallels build (5624) and am trying to install parallels tools onto a VM of Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex Beta.

I am getting an error telling me that it is not compatible with Xorg 1.5 - not a complete surprise.

Is there a newer build of Parallels with support for this either available or in the pipeline?

Or is there any work around to get the Parallels tools installed?

I'm a long time Vmware user who has moved completely to Parallels - literally removed VMware fusion from my macbook this week! So far I've been really impressed with the support and ease of use with Parallels.

I would completely understand if a new build is waiting for the full release of Intrepid Ibex but theres no harm in hoping is there :)

Many thank for any help.

Bryan

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

I suppose you need to try Parallels Server , which is prototype of Parallels Desktop version 4

3. bryanchapman9999

Thanks for your reply John,

This seems an expensive way to go! Is there a demo I can try?

I've just had a quick look at the webpage on Server, will it even install on Leopard (desktop version)

Are there no newer builds of Parallels desktop in the pipeline?

Cheers
    Bryan

4. John@Parallels

Server comes with 2 month demo, Developers are working on new build, but I do not know ETA for now

5. bryanchapman9999

OK, say I went with server for now - does it have the same functionality as desktop? and of course, back to my original question, will it support xorg1.5 ??

Cheers
    Bryan

6. John@Parallels

I suppose yes, because I have Fedora9 installed

7. bryanchapman9999

You suppose? Aren't you a parallels support person?

Anyway, I gave this a go. Uninstalled desktop version, installed server version, upgraded VM to enable it to run with server version - and guess what, it didn't work.

Same thing, erroring on xorg being version 1.5

So, now I've got to spend the time uninstalling server and going back to desktop as the server version is useless to me and costs 20 times the price! Thankfully, I didn't convert all my VMs.

John, could you ask the developers a direct question, when will a new release of Paralells desktop support ubuntu 8.10 ? Some kind of roadmap would be nice here. I'm used to more information, being from the Linux world - I expected more with paid for software....

Just some news about upcoming software releases would keep people like me happy so we know our wishes and other peoples are being worked on - and not just ignored.

I'm really tempted to uninstall parallels server and give VMWare Fusion another go - in fact I'm going to have a read up on vmware tools and ubuntu 8.10

I've paid for both, so I may as well use the one with the best support.

8. John@Parallels

I will try to clarify, but I have Fedora installed and it was installed Parallels Tools on xorg 1.49 without problem (it was unmodified early release of F9)

9. asweintraub

asweintraub Bit poster

If the past is anything to go by, there will be a version of Parallels tools that works with Ubuntu 8.10 slightly before 9.04 comes out...if Parallels 3.0 is still supported, which I really doubt. Otherwise, you'll have to pay to upgrade to Parallels 4.0. This thread comes to mind:
    http://forums.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=19052

10. John@Parallels

No older versions of Tools are not working in the new version

11. khicygni

khicygni Bit poster

A solution for video settings using Ubuntu 8.10

Hi,

Parallels 3.0 build 5608 on my macbook pro, Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex is running in full screen mode.

Replace these 3 sections in /etc/X11/xorg.conf, it works fine for me, and it's better than nothing.
    Hope, this helps you.
    Regards, Eric

12. khicygni

khicygni Bit poster

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "single head configuration"
    Screen "Screen 1"
    InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Keyboard0"
    Driver "kbd"
    Option "XkbModel" "macintosh"
    Option "XkbLayout" "fr"
    Option "XkbOptions" "lv3:lwin_switch"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Parallels"
    Driver "vesa"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "MacbookPro"
    HorizSync 31.5 - 100
    VertRefresh 59.0 - 75.0
    Modeline "1440x900_60.0" 106.47 1440 1520 1672 1904 900 901 904 932 -HSync +Vsync
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Screen 1"
    Device "Parallels"
    Monitor "MacbookPro"
    DefaultDepth 16
    Subsection "Display"
    Depth 16
    Modes "1440x900"
    ViewPort 0 0
    EndSubsection
    EndSection

13. khicygni

khicygni Bit poster

Use only the 3 Sections Device, Monitor and Screen
    Sorry I was not able to copy and paste file indent
    and not able to attach a txt file !
    Eric

14. 3rdEden

3rdEden Bit poster

If you found out that VMWare fusion gives better support feel free to report back. :)
    You can always just use virtual box.. http://www.tuaw.com/2008/10/30/installing-ubuntu-8-10-on-a-mac/

15. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

I wanted to try the new Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex now that is out, it was frustrating that I couldn't install Parallels Tools, and thus I couldn't use the full resolution (1680x1050) of the screen or even play with Compiz.

This left me asking to myself, why do I have Parallels? I don't want to create a partition for the latest Ubuntu just to try it, I don't feel like burning a CD just to run the LiveCD option. If Parallels worked the way it works for Windows it would have been the perfect solution to give the latest Ubuntu a quick, unobtrusive, spin while having the full depth of a HD install (as opposed to LiveCD).

Instead, it left me with second thoughts about its usefulness beyond Windows. Left me thinking about the fact that VMWare has a bigger virtual appliances repository and probably can come up with drivers for the latest Linux distros faster.

It also left me thinking that the way Parallels Tools for Linux are packaged lefts much to be desired if you compare it to how nVidia packs its drivers for Linux. Maybe Parallels Tools for the various OSs should have its own repository which would be updated much more frequently than the release cycles for Parallels Desktop and Workstation.

Parallels Tools needs to be rethought in a much more modular and granular way, both from the distribution and install angles, it's not acceptable that because the Display drivers fail to install all the other drivers fail too. It's also not acceptable that it's always impossible to install Parallels Tools on new released Linux distros because these are exactly the most likely candidates for a virtual machine (using virtualization programs as testbeds for new releases).

These are just suggestions, I haven't given much thought about this, but, up to a point I thought that having Parallels, besides virtualizing Windows would let me play with other OSs too, taking full advantage of them, the fact of the matter is that it isn't quite like so.

What I'm slowly realising is that Parallels doesn't really care much beyond virtualizing Windows (they probably don't see virtualizing other OSes as specially lucrative), but that is not good enough for me (VMWare on the other hand has a long tradition on these other OSes).

Software is frustrating.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2008
  16. John@Parallels

Parallels Server supports Ubuntu Interpid, and we are working to bring it to PD 3, also tested under PD4 beta it works without problem

17. 3rdEden

3rdEden Bit poster

Wtf.. You tell us we need to get a software worth of 1200 dollar to run server based software on our desktop in order to run the ubuntu desktop version... Am i'm the only one here that thinks thats odd? And if parallels server supports it.. Than why on earth are we need to get parallels server, you have the code. How hard can it be to port it to the desktop.. Als you basicly said we allready have the code, and it works for parallels 4. *nice way to rub it in to your customers that you got it running but your unable to provide a normal solution for it as we are not in parallels beta*

Also why should we upgrade, as the guy above just told us it does not work.. Im not going to mess up my VM's for that ..

18. John@Parallels

I am telling you that we are working in that direction very high, Linux is first priority..
    I am telling that PS is already supports it, PD4 beta too, PD3 is working

19. chrisawaters

chrisawaters Bit poster

access to beta software

Is there a way to get access to PD4 beta?

20. DaTa

DaTa Hunter

Hi,

Please, wait unless PD 4 official version is released. It will happen very soon.
    Official version is much more stable and better in performance.
    You will have a chance to test 2-weeks trial.
    Please, monitor the news at our ifficial web-site:

http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/