Ubuntu Question

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by capjack1234, Oct 4, 2021.

1. capjack1234

capjack1234 Bit poster

I have a a VM setup with Ubuntu 20.04. My host is an M1 iMac with Big Sur 11.6. The host is on a wireless network.
    Ubuntu seems to run fine with one exception. it does not recognize the wireless network even though I have internet access. The result of this is that LivePatch does not work, nor does the Software and Updates find the canonical servers and show available software. What software I do get is from Canonicals Snapcraft.
    Ubuntu appears to think it has a wired connection, and does not show any connect options for wireless networks.

So question is, is this normal behavior in this type of virtual environment?
    Thanks in advance!
    Dean

MatthewR20 likes this.
  2. aldiscon

aldiscon Bit poster

Same problem ... M1 MacBook Air w/ Monterey 12.0.. Did you find a solution ?

3. MarkN8

MarkN8 Junior Member

Can you access the Internet through Firefox? I ask this because sometimes Ubuntu tells me that I am offline, yet I can still access the internet.

4. aldiscon

aldiscon Bit poster

I can access Internet through Firefox and other apps on my Ubuntu VM. I can used Shared or Bridged network from the host and internet works fover everything EXCEPT SOFTWARE & LIVEPATCH. I also tried all the options from this post to no avail.

5. ThomasB17

ThomasB17 Bit poster

Exactly the same problem since yesterday - did you find any solution?

6. RichardM42

RichardM42 Bit poster

I've had this issue on Monterey, also. I get around the livepatch problem by updating via the terminal.
    • Check your repository settings in /etc/apt/sources.list using nano or some other editor
    • In the terminal, run sudo apt update
    • Optionally, display all packages scheduled for updating using apt list --upgradable
    • Here you have a chance to upgrade individual packages by using apt install PACKAGE-NAME
    • Or upgrade all packages at once using sudo apt upgrade
    • Due to package dependency, some changes may have been held back. You can update them individually using apt install PACKAGE-NAME or all at once using sudo apt dist-upgrade
    • Finally, remove obsolete packages with sudo apt autoremove

Credit for this list goes to Lubos Rendek from the article How to update Kali Linux