Ubuntu stuck in 800x600

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by SanderL, Apr 22, 2015.

1. SanderL

SanderL Bit poster

I know this problem is common, but I've gone through all the steps detailed in the other cases, checked the X folder for backups, reinstalled prtools, etc... I just can't figure it out! I'm running on a 2013 rMBP.

2. AdamS5

AdamS5 Bit poster

Note that the 800x600 resolution comes from the framebuffer setting in Grub. I suspect Parallels Tools allows dynamic resizing by talking to the vesa framebuffer driver in the kernel.

If the KB article mentioned above doesn't work, you can set a new framebuffer mode, by adding:

GRUB_GFXMODE=1024x768x32
    GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=keep

to /etc/default/grub

and then running: grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

This will boot to 1024x768 with 32-bit color. Xorg will then start in 1024x768 resolution.

DerzuO likes this.
  3. marat_t

marat_t Pro

Muxeu likes this.
  4. AdamS5

AdamS5 Bit poster

I've installed, re-installed, and upgraded my Parallels Tools to no avail. I only get 800x600. When I drag to make it larger, it only scales the 800x600 view to a new size. It does not increase the resolution. I'm pretty sure the tools intend to increase the resolution via the frame buffer driver when the window is resized, but that's definitely not working for me in Ubuntu 14.04. Setting the resolution in the grub config is the only solution I could find that actually works.

5. Robertjm

Robertjm Member

6. Muxeu

Muxeu Bit poster

Thanks, It solved this issue for me: I had same bug in Ubuntu 14 on Mac OS El Cap, only 800x600 resolution was available and no sharing folders connected after attempt of installing PT from GUI.