Ubuntu won't boot

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by lyle_berman, Oct 18, 2022.

1. lyle_berman

lyle_berman Junior Member

Installed the latest Parallels update 18.0.2. Then Parallels Tool installed itself and rebooted Ubuntu.
    Now I get kernel panic upon booting.
    VFS: cannot open root device or unknown-block (0,0): error -6.
    Kernel Panic - not syncing. VFS: unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)​
    Anyone else?

2. (GalaxyMaster)

(GalaxyMaster) Hunter

It seems like there is no kernel module for the block device your root is residing on. Since you did not provide a lot of info on your configuration, try to play with Hard Disk 1 advanced settings of your VM configuration -- try SATA, SCSI, and IDE (each time you change the setting, try to boot up). This setting tells Parallels Desktop how to virtualise your hard drive image and how to present it to the OS. It may also require you to change the kernel parameter for the root device (e.g. for SATA/SCSI it will be `root=/dev/sda1`, but for IDE it will be `root=/dev/hda`).

3. lyle_berman

Thanks for your help!
    What's strange about it is that everything had been working just fine. I made no changes to the configuration. The installation of the latest version of Parallels Tools killed it. Here's the full log if that helps and a few screenshots. I tried adding the 'root=/dev/sda1' into the Advanced section on the Boot Order page which didn't help. Then I tried 'root=/dev/hda' as well.
    (I'm not a big Ubuntu user so not super familiar with how to fix issues like this.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] screen shots of the Parallels config.[​IMG]

4. lyle_berman

Just updating this thread that my VM is still broken after the latest update. Am I the only one?

5. AndrewM48

AndrewM48 Bit poster

I just experienced the same issue this morning, also running Ubuntu 20.04. I'm not sure exactly what caused the panic, because I updated not just parallels to the latest version (18.0.3-53079), I also let Ubuntu run an update that I believe included a kernel revision (5.15.0-52). I saw a kernel panic when I tried to perform an orderly reboot, had to hit reset, and saw another kernel panic on boot.

After trying and failing to find a direct download for an older version of Parallels v18, I used the bootloader menu to boot the previous version kernel (5.15.0-50) which booted without complaints. Don't know if it's an issue with the kernel, Parallels, or both, but that got me up and running again at least.

Hope that helps!

6. lyle_berman

Thanks Andrew! I actually tried that but had no option to boot the previous kernel. In the end, I recreated the VM. I was able to mount the hard drive of the old VM at least. But what a pain!

7. tyno_franc

tyno_franc Bit poster

updating the kernel in a virtual machine usually causes problems use the boot loader to log in to the previous version