Unable to allocate virtual memory, FileVault(?), Permissions(?)

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by William McHargue, May 28, 2006.

1. William McHargue

William McHargue Bit poster

Hello Fellow Parallels People,

This is my first post and experience with Parallels Desktop. After reading about the Intel Macs, BootCamp, then Parallels, a long time wish seemed to be coming true. I use a very high end Windows CAD tool called Pro/Engineer for work but I abhor Windows. I've had to limit my CAD work to being "at work" or lugging a boat-anchor Dell laptop with me. Well, you can see how valuable a Core Dual MacBook and Parallels could be. I now have all those pieces in place. Enough said.

I am running Mac OSX 10.4.6 and my home directory is a FileVault volume. I get the "Unable to allocate virtual memory" error when I attempt to start a VM from my main account with a FileVault. I've created a separate non-FileVault account and everything seems to be fine. I even have my virtual machine files in a shared directory so I can try running it from within either login account, but I simply cannot get it to work from my secure login account with a FileVault. I've tried reinstalling and even repairing permissions.

I also cannot locate the/a log file that might shed some light on where it is attempting to create these virtual memory "pages" it complains about. I've sent in a report through the Paralllels Desktop "Help" menu but have not heard back as of yet. (I can understand that they are likely a VERY busy bunch of people with Parallels Desktop for Mac being so close to release.)

If anyone has some information that bears on this issue I would greatly appreciate it. Any hints as to where I can look at a debug log to see where it thinks there isn't enough physical disk space?

Hats off to the Parallels team. I regret having to use Windows, but at least I can still keep my Mac.

Regards,

Bill.