Unable to connect Hard Disk 1. - After moving PD to a new user

JürgH

Bit poster
I had to set-up a new user on my iMac. I copied all files in the Parallels folder (in my document folder) to the new user.

When starting PD (4.0) following error message appears:

"Unable to connect Hard Disk 1.

A file or device required for the operation of Hard Disk 1 does not exist or is used by another process, or you have no permission to access it. The virtual machine will continue running, but the device will be disconnected."

How to move the virtual machine from one user to another? With PD 3.0 is was so easy...
 
I suspect the path to file which is Hard disk 1 has changed, since it was moved to new user home directory?

You need to point the configuration to the file. Start parallels, go to configuration of the VM you need to fix, and in hardware find Hard drive 1, and "choose" the file which contains the hard drive (something.hdd). It will be inside your something.pvm folder.

Then it should work. If you had more than one harddrive, find the others also.

Jan
 
Problem solved...!

Thank you all for your help!

But meanwhile I could solved the problem. It is just so easy: In the control panel I have to assign the hard disk under Hardware/Hard Disk 1.

PD 3.0 asked itself for this location - PD 4. does not. I assume that the software should help here the user more.

Anyway I am very satisfied with the performance of 4.o on my iMac!
 
Back
Top