Unable to increase available disk size for VM

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by BrynH, Oct 29, 2021.

1. BrynH

BrynH Bit poster

On an old (2010) iMac running High Sierra OS, I have Parallels Desktop 17 Standard Edition running a Windows 7.1 VM. The Mac has a 1TB solid state drive (recently fitted to replace a failed HDD), but the Windows VM has only been allocated 64GB.

I tried to increase this in order to provide Adobe with a bigger scratch disk, but keep getting message "Unable to edit the hard disk properties because it has one or more snapshots", even though "Manage Snapshots" shows that there aren't any.

Is there an easy solution to this, other than purchasing an external drive for the scratch disk?

2. mmika

mmika Pro

BrynH, check that your virtual HDD does not have a snapshots.
    Look at virtual HDD bundle located in VM bundle, there shouldn't be any large files except with name ended as .hdd.0.{5fbaabe3-6958-40ff-92a7-860e329aab41}.hds. If there are files with name ended .hdd-0.{SomeUUID}.hds exist, see thread for details.

3. GampaA@P

GampaA@P Pro

Hello @mmika, please delete Snapshots , then you can resize disk file. If the issue still persist please let us know we are here to assist you. Thanks, Parallels Team.

4. BrynH

BrynH Bit poster

Thanks for the above mmika and GampaA@Parallels. I have located two .hds files.

One has the exact same filename as you quote above .hdd.0.{5fbaabe3....}, is around 24GB and is timestamped from when I started the VM today. The other is .hdd.0.{aabbccdd.......}, is around 66GB and is timestamped from several days ago.

Can I safely delete the 66GB one, and should I then be able to resize my disk file? Sorry for my ignorance, but I am reluctant to delete anything without being 100% sure!