Unable to install macOS Big Sur in a virtual machine from the Recovery partition.

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by KevinDB, Dec 21, 2020.

1. KevinDB

KevinDB Bit poster

Hi!

Running Parallels 16.1.1 and upgraded to Big Sur 11.1. All appears to have gone well but I'm no longer able to create a new macOS VM from the recovery partition. According to the Knowledge Base this problem should be fixed by Parallels 16.1.1 but it doesn't appear so. I did a fresh install (trial) of parallels 16.1.1 on my mac mini, also on Big Sur 11.1 and that has the same issue, no 'Install macos from recovery partition' option.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
    Kevin

2. Megan2020

Megan2020 Bit poster

I faced same issue after upgrading to 11.1.
    I also cannot install it from the install app I get from Apple. It doesn't recognize 11.1 version but it does 11.0.1
    It seems Parallels have still critical issues with Big Sur versions. They need serious look into matters and issue an update. These are not related to users.
    They still didn't issue an update for network initialization problem many users face though it's been almost a month. That's why I am not optimistic to get any resolution soon.

3. KevinDB

KevinDB Bit poster

I updated to Version 16.1.2 (49151) and I now get the option to install from the recovery partition. I'm not saying that the update solved it as I had numerous other changes going on at the same time (recovered system from time machine backup for other reasons)