Unable to install Parallel 6 workstation

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration in Windows and Linux' started by Danny0990, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Danny0990

Danny0990 Bit poster

I initially ran Fedora 17 and was unable to install Parallel workstation 6. After reading the manual it says only fedora 14 and 15 are supported, so then i formatted my drive and installed fedora 15. im still unable to install parallel workstation 6.

can someone please help? i'd like to use this product i bought!!
    Ideally I'd like to get this working on Fedora 17. Has anyone gotten it to work?

2. GTHorsey

GTHorsey Bit poster

Can't install on Fedora 17

I too would like to run this product under Fedora 17, but am unable to get the Install to run. Anyone else tried, successfully or not?

3. jasonmicron

jasonmicron Bit poster

Nope

http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=263014

I've tried using both the latest 3.5 kernel and the initial 3.3 kernel in FC17 - doesn't compile. Looks to be a problem with the C code in the installer, but I'm not a programmer so can't say for certain. It could also be the version of make or gcc that's installed not correctly parsing the source.

Shame.

4. GTHorsey

GTHorsey Bit poster

Issues with 3.5 kernel

Apparently there are issues with the source code and the linux 3.5 kernel. The error given when trying to compile/link the Parallels Kernel Modules is:

include/linux/compiler-gcc.h:90:0: note: this is the location of the previous definition
    /tmp/.4oXRNZs1Z/parallels-kernel-modules/src/drivers/../host.Linux/lin_mem.c: In function ‘hostRemapMemUser’:
    /tmp/.4oXRNZs1Z/parallels-kernel-modules/src/drivers/../host.Linux/lin_mem.c:515:2: error: implicit declaration of function ‘do_mmap’ [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
    cc1: some warnings being treated as errors

Here is a thread I found about the "do_mmap" function in the Linux kernel development: http://lkml.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/1206.0/00826.html

It appears the "do_mmap" function basically no longer exists, and has been replaced. I'm guessing we are going to have to wait for parallels to update the source...

5. jasonmicron

jasonmicron Bit poster

Sorry OP, I just realized you said you couldn't install it on Fedora 15 either. I too down-revved my OS to Fedora 15 and the same compilation error occurs:

/tmp/.2x2tqdwvN/parallels-kernel-modules/src/network/pvsnet/pvsnet.c:349:2: error: too few arguments to function ‘ipv6_skip_exthdr’

The installation then quits with a partial installation completed. Clean install of Fedora 15. Kernel is 2.6.43.8-1.fc15.x86_64. Parallels Workstation does NOT work on Fedora 15, contrary to what the company tells us. I'm also getting frustrated with the lack of support from Parallels.

6. jasonmicron

jasonmicron Bit poster

I'll play around with it today. Maybe it has to do with Network Manager.

7. jasonmicron

jasonmicron Bit poster

Tried removing Network Manager and disabling IPv6 - still not compiling, still getting that same error.

It seems to be tanking when compiling something for Parallels Transporter - a feature which I don't even want to use. Maybe I'll try my very, very inexperienced hand at modifying the pvsnet.c file and just removing the offending function completely. /shrug

8. jasonmicron

jasonmicron Bit poster

Discovered the installer-cli file. Ran that against the Manifest file in the same dir with the --progress flag, got a few more pieces of information. Not sure how helpful, but here it is:

Anyone from Parallels care to comment / suggest anything?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  9. Christophervh

Christophervh Bit poster

Any progress on this issue? Need a workstation VM solution for our Linux (Fedora 17) machines and it seems I've run into this very same problem.

Would love to be able to continue using Parallels (we're using it for our Mac OS users) but can't even get the thing installed.