Unable to install parallels tools in Kali Linux 2021.1 on M1 Parallels Desktop.

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by ChaimS1, Sep 26, 2021.

1. ChaimS1

ChaimS1 Bit poster

Hi, I am having some trouble installing parallels tools in Kali. I looked at the support, tried all the solutions. Some of them didn't work at all, others said they were starting the installation and then said that there was an error. Can anyone help? Thanks!

2. SaloumF

SaloumF Bit poster

Happy to see I'm not the only one facing this issue.
    No specific information on the error and no answer from support at all.
    I'm happy I did not buy a licence right away ...

3. ChaimS1

ChaimS1 Bit poster

I found out an answer to this problem from a YouTube channel. Just look up "Install Kali Linux on an M1 Mac" and you should get a video on how to do it with parallels desktop. There is a second video that explains how to install parallels tools and adjust the resolution (which the first one mentioned the errors of being unable to do so).
    Here is how I got it to work:
    Click the install parallels tools button from the parallels tools menu bar icon > actions > install parallels tools. Important: when the disk appears on the kali desktop, do NOT double click to mount it. Next, head into the terminal emulator and put in the following command:
    sudo mount -o exec /dev/sr0 /media/cdrom
    That should mount it manually. Then:
    cd /media/cdrom
    sudo ./install
    Important: this should throw an error, saying it is unable to install packages. It should list those packages. Install them manually with the apt command. If it says not found, run apt update and apt upgrade. Here is an example of the commands I did with the packages on my system:
    sudo apt install dkms
    That installed successfully.
    sudo apt install libelf-dev
    That also installed successfully. The following package was unable to install (they were kernel headers):
    sudo apt install 5.10.0-kali9-arm64
    So to troubleshoot, as described from the video, I ran the following commands:
    sudo apt update
    sudo apt upgrade
    Then I rebooted:
    sudo reboot
    The machine should reset. Try installing parallels tools again from the beginning (mounting manually, installing from the installation file)
    and it should work.
    That's how I did it.
    Good luck!

4. ChaimS1

ChaimS1 Bit poster

I apologize. I mistyped the line where I installed the kernel headers [sudo apt install 5.10.0-kali9-arm64]. The command could either be
    sudo apt install $(uname -r)
    [safest way, you may not have the same kernel headers as me] or you could install it, if you have the same kernel headers, as
    sudo apt install linux-headers-5.10.0-kali9-arm64
    Best luck!

5. 4p0hk

4p0hk Bit poster

A bit of this has been covered here before, I'll reiterate the steps since it's now 2022 and this thread was the first on Google for me.
    You'll need to do a few things to get this to work properly on kali-22.3:

1. Install dependencies
    2. Reboot
    3. Mount the tools ISO as executable
    4. Install the tools from the ISO

Here's my full guide in Markdown, follow it and you should be straight. Don't try to install the Tools without the reboot. GL!

Code:
    ## steps needed to get full functionallity out of parallels on a m1 machine
    ## fresh 2022.3 kali install from arm64 iso

*vm menu, choose actions > install paralell tools*
    >this inserts a virt CDrom

>mount the CD as executable

cd /media/cdrom && sudo ./install
    >attempt install, observe the error
    >you'll probably need to install some packages - next

sudo apt update 
    sudo apt upgrade 
    sudo apt auto-remove
    >update/upgrade everything and clean up

sudo apt install dkms 
    sudo apt install libelf-dev 
    sudo reboot
    >install needed dependencies, reboot

*vm menu, choose actions > install paralell tools*
    >this inserts virt CDrom again

>mount the CD as executable

cd /media/cdrom && sudo ./install
    >attempt install, should be no error

ArjanV2 likes this.
  6. BallO

BallO Hunter

I just tried Kali and it installed but once I installed the tools it took a long time to boot (USB error showed on the console briefly) then I couldn't login (can't type or use the mouse).
    I tried ParrotOS and got further, but the screen will freeze up with the CPU pinned to 100%. Before the screen freezes I can login and use a USB device, but I didn't test much further due to the freeze issue.
    I tried UTM and the USB passthrough doesn't work for my device. kernel module loads, but the device is never created with various errors in dmesg depending how the wind blows.

I need this to work and I'm in VM hell :(

7. BallO

BallO Hunter

After a reboot, I managed to get further with kali (although I think parrotos is still fubar). It hasn't frozen yet but we'll see.

The USB errors may have been due to running UTM.

8. BallO

BallO Hunter

OK, so the freeze error in Kali has nothing to do with UTM. It just happens regardless. I can still hit soft restart so it seems to be an input device problem. I just have to reboot again and again until I can login. After I login I have to replug the USB device.

9. ArjanV2

ArjanV2 Bit poster

Thanks, this also worked for me with Kali 22.4.

Cheers,
    Arjan

NinadD likes this.
  10. NinadD

NinadD Bit poster

Thanks Arjan .. spent at least 3-4 hours on this before stumbling onto your answers. save me headche and may be lot many hours .. Thank you. Worked for in 2023 as well.