Unable to install Windows apps under Desktop

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Steve Hardiman, Apr 1, 2010.

1. Steve Hardiman

Steve Hardiman Bit poster

I have tried to install several Windows apps under my virtual Windows machine running on my Mac. I receive the error, "setup.exe is not a valid Win32 application," with setup.exe being whatever the file name is.

This seems to occur when I am installing an application that requires a download. When I click either "Run" or "Save" as, what happens is a very small executable gets run or saved. That .exe file in turn is what does the work of downloading the true application, which can be quite large. That's how it works on a native Windows machine. However on my virtual machine the application never gets downloaded because the small .exe that gets downloaded will not run.

I've had this problem several times, so it is severely limiting what software I can run in my virtual Windows machine.

Thanks.

2. HughE

HughE Bit poster

I am experiencing the same problem. What is going on? Any clues much appreciated!

3. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Maven

Can you guys download other stuff (e.g. images) from the web? Is this maybe to do with antivirus software that's running in Windows?

4. HughE

HughE Bit poster

I downloaded the same file from the same source using the OSX browser (safari),
    and then switched back to windows vista under parallels and attempted to run the program. the result is the same.
    I do not currently have any virus software running under vista. Will check your other questions later... got to run.

5. Steve Hardiman

Steve Hardiman Bit poster

Here's a fix...

I actually found this information in this forum but the instructions were not clear enough for me to use. So... I paid for telephone support and got the problem fixed. So, here's the $20 answer, directly from the Parallels Support Team:

Note 1: These procedures work for me under this configuration: MacBook Pro running OS X 10.6.3; Parallels Desktop 5 for Mac; Windows 7 Home Premium edition; all software was fully updated before making this change.

Note 2: There is another, similar thread in this forum. I posted these instructions there as well and got a reply that this did not fix the problem for someone else. They mentioned that they saw a Parallels logo in association with their error. I did NOT see a Parallels logo. Instead what popped up for me looked like a native Windows error dialog featuring a red circle with a white "X" in it. It contained the text, "[filename].exe is not a valid Win32 application." So be aware that there may be two separate, but similar issues, for which there appear to be different solutions.

The fix that worked for me:

1. Launch Parallels Desktop and start Windows. Use a view that allows the Parallels Desktop menu to remain visible (i.e., not Full Screen).

2. From the Parallels Desktop menu, select Devices | Network Adapter 1 | Bridge Networking | Default Adapter.

I tested this fix by installing two programs that gave me a problem before making the change: Java (from Java.com) and Microsoft Live Meeting. Both installed without a hitch, so it seems to have done the trick.

Good luck. I hope this will save you some cash.

Steve

Last edited: Apr 11, 2010
  6. JulioL

JulioL Bit poster

I tried to install Winzip 14.5 and safari 5 using IE and could not install it. It gave me the error you mentioned. I used the fix and then proceded to install Safari 5 and everything went ok. The difference was that in order to install safari 5, I used safari 4 browser. Then I used IE in order to install Winzip and IE gave me the no win32 program error again. Then I used safari 5 and I could install Winzip in parallels with no problem. I am starting to think that the problem comes from Internet Explorer. Botton line, try using safari to download and install your programs and see what happens. I am using Windows XP Pro in a macbook pro.

7. LisaT

LisaT Bit poster

Thank you!!!

Wow Steve,

You are my HERO!!!!! I am now loading AutoCAD. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for sharing this info!!!!!