Unable to join a domain

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Arielbs, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Arielbs

Arielbs Bit poster

I'm working with Parallels 3, and the guest XP cannot find a domain controller. I'm able to access printers and shared drives on the server, and browse to the server by name. However when I try to join the domain it tells me that it cannot find a domain controller.

I get all the correct IP information but can't actually join the domain, even when I establish a VPN connection.

Is there something I need to do on the network adapter or the LAN connection to allow communication with a DC?

2. chadius

chadius Bit poster

check your DNS. Make sure you can do an nslookup on the dc and resolve it forward and reverse. Inability to join a domain almost always comes down to a problem with DNS.

3. Robster

Robster Hunter

Hmmm

Two questions.

1. What firewall are you running?

2. Have you ever used the computer actually ON the network you are trying to connect too, not remotely, not via VPN but physically connected to that network?

I had exactly the same problem and symptoms.

1st problem I had was my Firewall had several modes and I was in stand alone mode not connect to a work domain mode.

2nd Problem even after fixing the first one is that until I had actually connected physically to the domain I could not get a proper connection with all the mapped drives.

Once I had done it one it works fine over VPN.

Just my 2 cents.

Robin

4. Arielbs

Arielbs Bit poster

Yes, I'm trying to configure it connected to the local network.

Do you mean the firewall on the server, or the one on the XP OS? The one on the XP OS is just the built-in firewall.