Unable to write to shared Mac directories

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by RobertH37, May 22, 2018.

1. RobertH37

RobertH37 Bit poster

From an Ubuntu 16.04 VM running in Parallels 13.3.0 on Mac OS 10.13.4, I can read files and directories under the Mac user /Home directory. However I cannot edit or create files, even though I appear to have write permissions. (I can however edit it from the Mac).
    For instance, on my Mac, I have:
    upload_2018-5-22_16-12-29.png

While on my VM I have:
    upload_2018-5-22_16-13-53.png

I also cannot change group ownership:
    upload_2018-5-22_16-15-49.png

Note the "nogroup". Also note how I cannot remove the file, and the strange error upon trying chmod (file.txt is an empty file by the way):
    upload_2018-5-22_16-18-30.png

I see the same behavior when I install the Linux Mint VM that comes with Parallels. It seems that something is wrong or problematic on my Mac, but I have no clue what.

2. MatthewP13

MatthewP13 Bit poster

I have this same issue, but only on Ubuntu. In my CentOS and Windows VMs, I can modify files and directories in a Parallels shared folder from my MacBook Pro (host machine) just fine. Has anyone figured out what is the issue here?

3. RobertH37

RobertH37 Bit poster

By the way, I created a new user on my Mac, under which the VM as described above worked fine. When I need to use that VM, I have to login with the new Mac user first. It's a pain, but at least I could proceed that way.