UNC-path

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by AislingP, Oct 5, 2020.

1. AislingP

AislingP Bit poster

I'm trying to setup a new software on my Windows virtual machine but I think I'm having issues with how Parallels configures the paths between the host Mac and the VM. The software (Dymola) that I'm trying to install is essentially a GUI complier for a language (Modelica) which is written on top of c++. In the software setup it tries to run a test compilation but it needs me to specify a complier. Options are Visual Studio, Intel Parallel Studio XE, MinGW GCC so I installed Visual Studio (gave it my Microsoft login and it runs). But now I'm getting an issue about UNC-paths which I'm not that familiar with:

Current directory is an UNC-path; change directory!
    Dymola cannot compile a simple C-program, dsmodel.c in current directory (which is an UNC-path).
    Dymola is installed in C:\Program Files\Dymola 2021 and when I specify a c++ compiler I am using Visual Studio in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019.

Would appreciate any thoughts, I am truly stumped.

2. MattiaZ

MattiaZ Bit poster

Best Answer
    I had the same problem. This happens when you are mirroring Mac and Windows user folders. If you deselect the option (Parallels desktop -> Actions -> Configure -> Share Mac -> Mirror Mac and Windows user folders (deselect it!)), it works fine because the Windows folders will be in a "normal path" and not in a UNC path anymore. You can still use the option: Share custom Mac folders with Windows.

Attached Files:

3. CHeister

CHeister Bit poster

I have a similar problem, when compiling Nodejs modules. Did you fix the issue and if so, would you share your solution?

4. MattiaZ

MattiaZ Bit poster

Best Answer
    I had the same problem. This happens when you are mirroring Mac and Windows user folders. If you deselect the option (Parallels desktop -> Actions -> Configure -> Share Mac -> Mirror Mac and Windows user folders (deselect it!)), it works fine because the Windows folders will be in a "normal path" and not in a UNC path anymore. You can still use the option: Share custom Mac folders with Windows.

Attached Files: