Unexpected internet uploads

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by PaulFryer, Oct 23, 2016.

1. PaulFryer

PaulFryer Member

Recently, my computer made several large uploads to the internet (2 - 4 GB) over a consecutive period of 6 days, while the computer was in Sleep mode and not being used (I was away). I have no idea where these uploads were going, or what was uploaded. There were no downloads during this time. During this time Parallels was active with Windows 7 running. This has never happened before, and I am not aware of any changes I have made that would have triggered this. It has not happened again in the last week.

I was wondering whether anyone has any ideas as to whether Parallels or Windows could have been the originator of these uploads, and how I could determine this one way or another. Is it possible that my Snapshots are being sent off somewhere? Or is it possible there is a virus or similar nasty?

Obviously I am very concerned about this, and any thoughts relating to Parallels or Windows would be appreciated.

Computer is iMac (Late 2011) running El Capitan (OS 10.11.6) and Parallels 11.2.0 with Windows 7 Home Premium SP1.

Thanks,
    Paul.

2. Did you see any changes? For example you cannot copy/paste between Mac and Windows?

3. Hello PaulFryer, just to make sure if it's Windows that causes the trouble please shutdown your Windows OS and quit Parallels Desktop and check for the data consumption and let us know the status and we will be happy to assist!

4. PaulFryer

PaulFryer Member

Thanks for the interest and replies.

It's not Windows or Parallels updates that is the issue, since the unexpected activity was data uploaded TO the internet, not downloads FROM the internet that would be the case with updates. My real concern is knowing what of my data went out to the internet and to whom: if, for example, someone copied my whole hard drive (or even just my user data) over that week, there is a serious privacy issue. That is why I was asking whether Windows Snapshots were ever uploaded, or whether there might be a virus somewhere that is copying my personal data to somewhere else. If it might be something legitimate like Snapshots going out, I can rest assured that my privacy is OK and I don't need to fear bad guys raiding my bank account; I can also stop making Snapshots. If it was a virus, it may still be present and the event might recur. I really want to get to the bottom of this!

Unfortunately, this seems to have been a one-time occurrence (even though spread over a week), and is now no longer happening. So shutting down Windows and Parallels won't tell us anything.

Paul.

5. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<