"Uninstall Apps" doesn't have permissions to uninstall...never prompts for password?

Discussion in 'Parallels Toolbox for Mac' started by RossC4, Nov 6, 2021.

1. RossC4

RossC4 Bit poster

I've tried the Uninstall Apps tool on several occasions and it is hit or miss. Some items it can uninstall without issue, but for most the process starts and then I get a dialog '"Uninstall Apps" doesn't have permissions to uninstall AppName. Please try again and enter your password when prompted." Clicking OK and the "Uninstall" button is now greyed out so a retry is not possible without closing the utility and trying again. However, I am never prompted for authentication to remove the application. Is this just a limitation? I use AppCleaner to remove the application and it prompts for password and removed applications without issues.

XeataOne and HuseyinG like this.
  2. sergk

sergk Parallels Developers

Hello,
    Some programs requires administration privileges to be uninstalled. Uninstall Apps tool uses special helper for this purpose. You should be asked for administrator privileges to install this helper. The behavior you've described looks like incorrect. Could you please record screen video to understand your situation better?

Also check if file "/Library/PrivilegedHelperTools/com.parallels.toolbox.UninstallAppsHelper" exists.

3. LeonardS3

LeonardS3 Bit poster

yeah it doesn't exists for me, so whats should i do?

4. LeonardS3

LeonardS3 Bit poster

ah it exist,
    but i still cant do it

5. Avinash Bundhoo

Avinash Bundhoo Staff Member

Hello,

Thank you for your feedback.

To further investigate the issue, please follow the steps below:

1. On you macos > System Settings > Privacy & Security > App Management > Click on "+"
    2. In the opened dialog window, in the search field and Type "Uninstall Apps".
    3. Select "Uninstall Apps" and click on "Open".
    3. Click on "Quit and Reopen"
    4. Check if issue persists.

If issue persists, reproduce the issue and collect a technical report (click on the Parallels Toolbox icon > Cogwheel> Help > Send technical data > check "Attach screenshots..." > press Send Report) and send the report's 9-digit ID in a reply.

Thanks

6. MichaelB22

MichaelB22 Bit poster

I have tried the above and it still does not allow me to uninstall a specific app...other suggestions?

7. Mikhail Ushakov

Mikhail Ushakov Parallels Team

Hi Michael,
    What's the name of the app you're trying to uninstall? Would you also generate a technical report right after reproducing the issue again as outlined in https://kb.parallels.com/en/124107 and share its ID with us, please?

8. MichaelB22

MichaelB22 Bit poster

Trying to uninstall the (legacy) Kindle Classic app which is no longer supported. Technical report generated and sent with ticket #437771751

9. DennisG9

DennisG9 Bit poster

I've gone through this thread and none of the ideas solves the problem. It doesn't matter what application I attempt to delete I get the message "Uninstall Apps" doesn't have permission....... to uninstall the specific app. Example of the message is attached.

Attached Files:

10. Pramesh Boodadoo

Pramesh Boodadoo Staff Member

Hello,
    As a possible solution, kindly follow the below steps:
    1. Temporarily uninstall Sophos ( instructions ) and Microsoft Defender (instructions)
    2. Restart your Mac and verify if the issue persists by trying to uninstall the Application using Uninstall Apps?
    If the issue still persists, kindly follow the below steps, to create a new administrator profile and try in the new user profile, follow these steps:
    1. Click the Apple menu () in the top-left corner of the screen and select System Settings.
    2. Click Users & Groups.
    3. Click the lock icon in the bottom-left corner of the window and enter your administrator password.
    4. Click the + button in the bottom-left corner of the window to create a new user.
    5. In the New Account sheet, enter a name for the new user and select Administrator from the Account Type menu.
    6. Click Create User.
    7. Login to the New User Admin Account and try to uninstall the Application using Uninstall Apps again .
    Let us know if the above steps helped to solve the issue ?
    If the issue still persists, kindly generate an additional technical report right after reproducing the issue again as outlined in https://kb.parallels.com/en/124107 and provide us with the report ID.
    Thank you.

11. Pramesh Boodadoo

Hello,
    For us to further investigate the issue, kindly generate a technical report right after reproducing the issue again as outlined in https://kb.parallels.com/en/124107 and provide us with the report ID.
    Thank you.

12. DennisG9

DennisG9 Bit poster

Ran a technical report as requested. The ID number is: 438418462.

13. CitizenHax

CitizenHax Bit poster

I have the same issue. Is there an ETA for a resolution?

XeataOne likes this.
  14. DennisG9

DennisG9 Bit poster

FYI, I tried uninstalling Parallels Toolbox including manual removal of the "com" file in the "launchdaemons" folder. The problem continues to exist.

15. Pramesh Boodadoo

Hello,
    Indeed, it appears that the case requires deeper investigation, so we escalated it to the Development Team.
    Once there is a response from them - whether it is a request for additional information, a workaround or a permanent fix - we will let you know.
    We will get back to you as soon as we have an update.
    Thank you.

DennisG9 likes this.
  16. Pramesh Boodadoo

Hello,
    For us to further investigate the issue, kindly generate a technical report right after reproducing the issue again as outlined in https://kb.parallels.com/en/124107 and provide us with the report ID.
    Thank you.

17. Mikhail Ushakov

Hi @zoyaa1 ,
    Kindly generate a technical report right after reproducing the issue again as outlined in https://kb.parallels.com/en/124107 and post the report ID here.

18. TomK28

TomK28 Bit poster

Hello All,

I was able to get the Uninstall Apps to work on Mac after making the following changes:
    1. Access Settings -> Privacy & Security -> App Management - activate the Uninstall Apps here
    2. Access Settings -> Privacy & Security -> Full Disk Access - activate the Uninstall Apps here too.

19. DennisG9

DennisG9 Bit poster

This does appear to fix the. problem. The question now is if these are the correct settings why were they not activated? Or is this a hack/workaround? Feels like the latter.

20. Mikhail Ushakov

Thank you for bringing it up!
    We've already reported the issue to our Development team, and they're actively working to address the issue.