Uninstalling Parallels

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by MikeFromMesa, Nov 18, 2017.

1. MikeFromMesa

MikeFromMesa Member

What is the best way to uninstall Parallels?

I have version 10 and I want to uninstall it from a Sierra bootable clone disk. When I Googled "Uninstall Parallels 10" I got some instructions that said to make sure the VM is not running and then press "Remove", but that brings up the installation dialog and forces me to answer the normal installation questions - how do I intend to use Parallels, where is my iso file, etc, etc, etc. All I want to do is remove it from the bootable disk and reclaim all of the used space on that disk.

Is that really the best way to remove Parallels? And, if so, do the installation questions really make any sense? Why does it need my Windows key to uninstall?

Thanks.

2. Shathish@Parallels

Shathish@Parallels Pro

Hello @MikeFromMesa The best we suggest to uninstall the Parallels Desktop is http://kb.parallels.com/122653 But, we are not sure why it's asking for the Windows key t uninstall the Parallels Desktop. And you no need to answer the installation questions to uninstall the Parallels. Please follow the suggested article. Thanks, Shathish

3. MikeFromMesa

MikeFromMesa Member

Thank you for the response, but that is pretty much exactly what I did. The problem is that it has not recovered the space I lost when I did the initial install.

I did the install on a bootable external ssd clone of my system disk (just in case something went wrong) and the install added about 30GB of space to the drive and left me with only 7GB of space on that drive. Removing the Parallels Desktop.app only frees up about 680MB. How can I free up the remaining space?

A second question is just as important. I need to reinstall Parallels on a larger external ssd so I will have enough space to do some work, but removing the Parallels Desktop.app file does not seem to free up my Parallels license so it can be used on a larger disk. Is there any way for me to free up the license that is now marked as in use?