Unplugging USB causes Windows 7 to crash

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by DavidA4, Jan 16, 2016.

1. DavidA4

DavidA4 Hunter

Hi,

I'm writing a Windows user interface (UI) using Microsoft Visual Studio CLI VicualC++ 2008 Express Addition (VC2008) that interfaces to a USB connected to a microcontroller (PIC18F4550) made by microchip. I've used this setup on dedicated Windows machines without this problem - so it seems to be related to the fact that I'm using Parallels Desktop 11 on a MackBook Pro 2015.

The symptom: I run VC2008, then run the UI written in VC2008 after which I plug in the USB and observe normal operation (proper communication between the UI and microcontroller via the connected USB). If I never unplug the USB, shut down VC2008 and then shut down Windows7 all is fine (no problems). However, if I first unplug the USB the problems start. The first problem is that my UI app will not close properly and then when I try to shut down Windows 7 it takes a very long time eventually leading to a blue screen (of death).

This is a complicated setup - but runs just fine on dedicated Windows machine (even when unplugging the USB) and although it would be very nice to continue using my MacBook Pro for writing and testing this code - I can use another laptop with only Windows 7 on it.

I put this out there in the event that someone else has experienced a similar problem and/or has a solution.

Thanks for reading

David

Screen Shot 2016-01-16 at 4.45.16 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-01-16 at 6.02.23 PM.png
    Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
    Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
    BCCode: 9f
    BCP1: 0000000000000003
    BCP2: FFFFFA800BB5C060
    BCP3: FFFFF800017283D8
    BCP4: FFFFFA800A885BD0
    OS Version: 6_1_7601
    Service Pack: 1_0
    Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
    C:\Windows\Minidump\011616-7066-01.dmp
    C:\Users\dstraigh\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-13759-0.sysdata.xml

Read our privacy statement online:
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
    C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
  2. DavidA4

DavidA4 Hunter

So, basically, I cannot use the USB at all without causing Windows 7 to crash (Win7 running under Parallels). A second and unrelated program seems to cause the same or similar problem as described above. (That program is called MPLAB ver. 8 made by Microchip) Everything works up until you try to close out of Windows - and that's when you get the Blue Screen of Death.

The USB simply doesn't work. I'm forced to switch back to a dedicated Windows 7 Machine =(

So what now?

3. DavidA4

DavidA4 Hunter

Here are screen shots showing Windows 7 running under Parallels Desktop 11 crashing when a USB is used. The software I'm using in Windows 7 is MPLAB version 8 (from Microchip). The USB is used to connect to a "programmer" made by Microchip. At this point in time I am unable to use Parallels at all with Microsoft Studio (for writing Windows GUI) and Microchip's IDE MPLAB w/ the PICkit 2 - because of the USB issues.

Today I repeated the problem by starting Windows 7, then running only Microchip's IDE called MPLAB and then using their programmer just one time.

For this test I ran MPLAB ver. 8.x in Windows 7 (which is under Parallels Desktop 11), then used the programmer, PICkit 2, connected through the USB port. After connecting I used the programmer one time, then closed all Windows programs and shut down Windows 7. During the shutdown Windows 7 never actually closes - first it hangs for about 5 minutes then you get the blue screen of death (first attached photo). After this Windows 7 reboots itself and upon doing so you get a message from Windows "Windows has recovered from an unexpected shutdown". In that dialog box are additional messages for troubleshooting.

At this time I cannot use Parallel's Desktop 11 anymore.

Attached Files:

4. Dhruba@Parallels

Dhruba@Parallels

Hi David, please check your private message.

5. DavidA4

DavidA4 Hunter

Got it. Thanks. I did contact support and they've done all that they can do. We were on the phone troubleshooting for about 5 hours and have determined the problem is within Parallels Desktop 11. Unfortunately, the problem remains and because the problem is beyond what support can offer the case has also been closed. It sounds like I'll have to wait for a new release of Parallels Desktop 11 to come out and then see if that fixes the USB problem that I have. If it doesn't fix the USB problem then I suppose I'll need to contact support again and start the process over. For now, I can only use a dedicated Windows 7 if I want to use the USB.

6. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi David, since we need to investigate deeper, please email us the issue description along with the screenshot to cs(at)parallels(.)com, so we can check it for you.

7. DavidA4

DavidA4 Hunter

Hi Paul,

As stated above I contacted Parallel's and spent many hours on the phone troubleshooting. The conclusion was that the problem had to do with Parallels Desktop 11 and that I should wait for an update to see if that corrects the problem I have with the USB. Recently, there has been an update and I have installed that update (11.1.3 (32521)) Unfortunately, I see no change in the issue I have with the USB.

I'm not sure why my case was closed - since I must use a dedicated Windows machine to do my job (instead of using Parallels) - but here is the case number (this was the number in the subject of the email - assumed to be the case number)

Parallels #2235776

I'll post if there's anything more I can add.

David

8. DavidA4

DavidA4 Hunter

I haven't heard back from Parallels regarding this issue. I've never been able to use Parallels desktop with my USB. It simply does not work. I don't use Parallels for anything that uses a USB.

9. Dhruba@Parallels

Dhruba@Parallels

Hi David, while reviewing the Support Ticket we found that the case has been already escalated to the Engineering team. Please subscribe to this KB article for an update.

10. DavidA4

DavidA4 Hunter

Has this been fixed yet? It's been months now.

11. DavidA4

DavidA4 Hunter

I'll assume this will never get fixed. Rats!

12. DavidA4

DavidA4 Hunter

Once again, the latest update does absolutely NOTHING to fix this problem (unplugging the USB causes the Blue Screen of Death BSOD). I bought Parallels Desktop in November of 2015 and the USB has NEVER worked. And, it is a known + verified problem - yet nothing is done. My case was closed. My frustration ignored.

I don't use Parallels for USB - I use a completely separate laptop running Windows.

Buyer beware.

13. DavidA4

DavidA4 Hunter

Meanwhile, Parallels Desktop 12 comes out. I can't say I'm enthused to upgrade given that the above problems have never been addressed & serious lack of support. I've not been able to use USB for 9 months.

14. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Yes, it is fixed in Parallels Desktop 11 for Mac 11.2.0 (32581) and please check out this article for the update summary.

15. DavidA4

DavidA4 Hunter

No, this update didn't fix the issue, hence my post. See ticket 2235776. Parallels has also verified this is a problem with their software (back in Feb. of 2016 I believe it was verified by Parallels). I suppose I could create a YouTube video demonstrating the problem. Perhaps that might convince someone that this is a problem worth fixing.

16. DavidA4

DavidA4 Hunter

I've had Parallels Desktop 11 since November of 2015. I reported the problem officially early in Feb. of 2016. There have been at least two (if not three) updates since then. I still have the USB problem. I don't know what else I can do. My guess is that it will be well over a year, perhaps two years, before I will be able actually use the USB with Parallels. I feel that this should be disclosed to customers considering buying Parallels and also need to use the USB with Microchip's USB programmer PICkit (http://www.microchipdirect.com/ProductSearch.aspx?Keywords=PG164130).

17. DavidA4

DavidA4 Hunter

After upgrading to Parallels Desktop 12 I am happy to report that the problem finally got resolved.