Updating graphics card driver through Windows 10

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by KyleP2, Jan 13, 2016.

1. KyleP2

KyleP2 Bit poster

I'm considering updating the drivers through Windows, but I'm not sure if that's going to cause any problems with OS X El Capitan, because from what I was told was that when Apple releases an update to the OS, it updates the drivers as well. Does anyone know if updating the driver through Windows going to affect anything with my OS X?

2. marat_t

marat_t Pro

Hi,

Point 1. Windows environment is isolated from Mac (that said, I mean, it's almost isolated, as Parallels Tools provide some integration features, such as app sharing, folder sharing, d'n'd, copy-paste, etc.). Updating drivers in Windows virtual machine will not touch Mac OS side. Windows kernel is running its own drivers, OS X kernel has its own. Drivers for Windows are not compatible with OS X and vice versa.
    Point 2. There is no need to update Graphics driver via Windows updates as the only driver that's compatible with Parallels virtual graphics adapter is Parallels driver that can be installed with Parallels Tools package http://kb.parallels.com/en/115835