Upgrade to 19 Issue with Mac Dock

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by ZacharyB6, Aug 24, 2023.

1. ZacharyB6

ZacharyB6 Bit poster

Just upgraded to Version 19.0.0 (54570) and everything went well on my MBP M2 machine.

I haven't changed any settings from what I had been using under 18.x.

The Mac dock when Windows VM is full screen will not popup when you go all the way to the bottom with your mouse like it previously did. Going all the way to the top of the screen to get the Mac Menu bar works but takes a lot longer now. When you get the top menu bar to pop up, you can quickly move your mouse to the bottom of the screen to get the Dock to pop up then.

Seems like something changed in 19.x - can someone verify?

KevinL19 and Lisa11 like this.
  2. Mikhail Ushakov

Mikhail Ushakov Parallels Team

Best Answer
    Hello!
    The issue has been addressed in Parallels Desktop 19.1.0 that should be released within a few hours.

3. Ashley Chumun

Ashley Chumun Staff Member

Greetings,
    Thank you for your feedback.
    To let us better understand the situation, please perform the following steps:
    1. Reproduce the issue.
    2. Collect a technical report (click the Parallels icon on top of the mac menu bar > Help > Send technical data > check "Attach screenshots..." > press Send Report) and send the report's 9-digit ID in a reply to this message.
    Thanks!

4. Lisa11

Lisa11 Bit poster

I have had exactly the same issue - would prefer it back to how it was.

5. iciconnect

iciconnect Member

Not sure why anyone would like to have Apple's Dock show up at the same time! Since the upgrade to Parallels 19.x, mine shows Apple's dock each time I move the mouse down to Windows' taskbar (Full-Screen mode). The Apple Dock keeps getting in the way now! This was once an issue I reported several months back. There should be an option to show or not show Apple's Dock, personally. I prefer not to see it at all. Especially while working in the Windows environment (Full-Screen mode). I do training videos for Windows users. And I prefer no Apple Dock. I don't want it showing up while I'm capturing Windows' environment during my training session or in my training guides. Screenshot 2023-08-25 at 4.19.58 AM.jpeg

6. Pramesh Boodadoo

Pramesh Boodadoo Staff Member

Hello,
    Indeed, it appears that the case requires deeper investigation, so we escalated it to the Development Team.
    Once there is a response from them - whether it is a request for additional information, a workaround or a permanent fix - we will let you know.
    Thank you.

7. ZacharyB6

ZacharyB6 Bit poster

Done - ID # is 433973221 - replied here as a reply to the email caused a bounce back with "forumadmin wasn't found at parallels.com."
    Anything further, let me know.
    Thanks
    Zack

8. ZacharyB6

ZacharyB6 Bit poster

It's not about showing at the same time, but rather, let's say Windows is full screen and you're working away. For me it's habit to just go down to the bottom of the screen and check my iMessages or some other MacOS app. Just habit for me other than thinking about task switching back to MacOS (which is convenient if the MacOS app is already running), but I think most of this the issue is we need to launch an item from the MacOS dock, and seem like the mouse isn't releasing from the Windows full screen environment to the MacOS environment.

Lisa11 likes this.
  9. MatM4

MatM4 Bit poster

I have the opposite problem: I don't want the menu bar or the dock, but after the update to Version 19.0.0 (54570), only the menu bar is successfully hidden -- the dock still pops up. The setting "Optimize full screen for games" promises to prevent both the dock and the menu bar from appearing, and I have it enabled.

10. KevinL19

KevinL19 Bit poster

I have an external monitor connected to my Mac. Prior to upgrading to v19, the dock on my Mac screen stays up even when I'm working on the external monitor. This allows me to watch for messages. Now when I put focus on the PC side (ext monitor), the dock disappears. Please help!

11. Rob Grayson

Rob Grayson Member

I've just upgraded to PD 19.0.0 (from PD16) and have a related problem. I run Parallels in full screen mode on my second monitor, and I previously had it configured so that the dock did not appear when I moved the cursor to the bottom of the screen in my VM. After the upgrade, when I move the cursor to the bottom of the VM screen, the dock sometimes appears and sometimes doesn't. This is extremely annoying because I have my Windows taskbar (in the VM) set to autohide and I don't want the macOS dock appearing whenever I move the cursor to the bottom of the VM screen to access the Windows taskbar.

iciconnect likes this.
  12. DavidR91

DavidR91 Bit poster

Also upgraded to 19 from 18. When a VM is full screen on one monitor and has focus the dock on the other monitor hides itself. If a window or desktop for the Mac is in focus the dock will appear.
    If the VM is not full screen the dock will not hide itself, even if the VM is the focus.
    In v18 the dock would not auto hide on the other monitor (monitor that does not have the VM on it) if the VM was full screen and in focus.

13. w._

w._ Bit poster

Same here. This was for me the most important feature to get rid of dock and menu bar in a Windows full screen. Very disappointing.
    @parallels support: Will this be fixed or is this standard now?

14. PaulZ4

PaulZ4 Bit poster

Same problem but Parallels team will constantly drag their feet on fixing. Just like the screens of death that has been over many evolutions. Its an issue, its obvious and it had to have arisen during beta testing or they have a very very poor program. This one is too obvious. Sorry, I'm not buying the excuses. This is enough for me to swap back to my Mac Office. I need to be able to quickly shift and this makes it impossible.

15. ScottS46

ScottS46 Bit poster

Same problem. I have 3 monitors. One for Mac desktop with dock always visible, one for Windows VM full screen, and another for another Windows VM full screen. Prior to v19, the dock was always visible on the Mac desktop screen regardless of which Windows VM I was using. Now, with v19, the dock disappears whenever either Windows VM has focus. Please fix!!!

16. ms1990kl

ms1990kl Bit poster

Just upgraded. Cannot get the dock to show up when I move mouse to bottom of screen. I have to close windows, and sometimes even close parallels to get dock back. Please fix this annoying bug.

17. KevinL19

KevinL19 Bit poster

Any word from your development team on an ETA?

18. Pramesh Boodadoo

Pramesh Boodadoo Staff Member

Hello, we have requested an update from our Development Team regarding this issue.
    However, due to the complexity of the issue, we regret to inform you that we are currently unable to provide an estimated time of resolution or a workaround.
    Please ensure that you will be updated once we have an update from them.
    Thank you.

19. KevinL19

KevinL19 Bit poster

As it turns out, MacOS Sonoma does not have this issue. I can see the dock now even when my focus is on the VM. Thank you!

20. w._

w._ Bit poster

The issue that the MacOs dock comes up in mode "optimized for games" is still there in Parallels 19. Even with MacOs Sonoma.
    @Pramesh Boodadoo: Can you give us an ETA when we get a fix?

21. Mikhail Ushakov

Mikhail Ushakov Parallels Team

Hello!
    The fix for the issue will be fixed shortly. Please stay tuned: https://kb.parallels.com/en/129860 (you can click the Get updates button to get an email notification once a new build is fixed).