Upgrade to 3.0 has more DISadvantages than advantages for me !

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by _Alain_, Jun 16, 2007.

1. _Alain_

_Alain_ Bit poster

Dear Parallels Team
    The following lacks I discovered after upgrading to 3.0:
    -If I switch between Mac OS X an Parallels fullscreen mode it always set me back to the screenresolution of 640x480 in Windows XP and I have to setup again the right resolution.
    Before 3.0 I never had such a problem.
    -If I shot down Windows in Parallels and restart it I always get the error "Unable to open disk image Boot Camp!". This error occured in 2.5 as well but the solution was to restart parallels and it worked after it. Since 3.0 I have to restart Mac OS X to make it work !
    One other solution to this problem is when an application has a file open from the boot camp image these error also occurs but that was not in my case.
    -I use Ashlar Cobalt v7 SP2 in Parallels Windows XP. There are basic displayproblems in 3D workarea since 3.0 which makes it impossible to work with Cobalt anymore. The solution to this problem is to uninstall the new paralles videodriver and work with the standard vga-driver of windows!
    -I tested Collin Mc Rally and was very disapointed about the speed it works. I would say unplayable !

All in all I'm very disapointed about the latest version of parallels. It has more DISadvantages than the versions before!
    Well you have my money now for the upgrade and I hope you solve all those problem !

Regards
    Alain

2. Rachel Faith

Rachel Faith Hunter

There are at least two dozen posts on this forum in the last week regarding all sorts are various video driver issues. While I do not have your symptoms, the cure we both share is that we can disable the parallels driver and use the poor VGA generic and the major problem goes away. I continue to have the other problems that are to be expected from no longer having the parallels driver, but at least it fixes my cursor issue. They are aware of the problems but so far do not have any solution which works. Nearly everyone has tried to reinstall and uninstall and manually install to no avail. Keep checking and post as much detail about your system and problems as you are able... we may YET find some commonality.

3. fbronner

fbronner Pro

Very strange, my windows XP session does not at all display this symptom. Are you using a bootcamp partition or a virtual disk? Have you tried installing the parallel tools manually. Try reinstalling them, but make sure anti-virus is not active while doing so.

Rachel, I know you are going to complain about me saying to try to reinstall the driver manually. But I see he has installed some games. Did you know most of them will try to reinstall DirectX and therefore will overwrite portion of the directx needed and installed by Parallel?

Reinstalling video drivers after games has been for a long time a good solution to a lot of my video issues on real machines, so try again and post your results.

4. _Alain_

_Alain_ Bit poster

reinstalling parallels tools does not solve my problem with cobalt.

5. fbronner

fbronner Pro

Hi,

You may want to make sure the parallel video driver is installed, enabled direct x, access dxdiag, and lower the acceleration one notch to the left.

If this does not work, try the same thing, but disable the direct x in parallel.

6. _Alain_

_Alain_ Bit poster

Which acceleration in dxdiag ? the sound acceleration ? I have a german version maybe it's a language communication problem ;-)

7. _Alain_

_Alain_ Bit poster

No success!

ok, thanks for your advise. but it didnt solve the problem.
    during disable directx in parallels it crashed and damaged the .hdd file and I had to restore them from my backup !:mad:

I wasted to mutch time for parallels now, nobody pays me the time for searching solutions for the errors that I have since upgrading to 3.0 ! but I payed for the upgrade and I excpect that the parallels team will solve the problems!

have a nice sunday anyway ! ;-)

Alain

8. Rachel Faith

Rachel Faith Hunter

So say we all. But, lo... it looks like you and I and other ARE the research team by default. I have spent one entire WEEK here on this.... at my $15 normal job rate I'd say I am well over the value of the product and digging deeper by the day.

= (

9. fbronner

fbronner Pro

Windows crashed during modifications to your dxdiag setup? You seem to have one very screwed up windows installation. Do you use your windows to surf the net? What software do you have installed on your windows session? You seem to have a confict in what you have installed.

Windows is very much sensible to DLL conflict, and it seems that you have some sort of DLL conflict.

For instance, I use Delphi and VS2005, with both of these applications installed on the same windows, I have issues. What I have done is installed a clean windows with nothing on it. This is my reference windows. I then made a copy of it and installed only VS2005. I then also made a copy of that reference and installed my Delphi. I never un both at the same time and therefore never run into conflicts.

By the way, before parallel I used to have a windows laptop for both of these environments as the issues between them is not parallel related, its windows.

Rachel, do you ever post something useful?

10. _Alain_

_Alain_ Bit poster

Windows crashed during modifications to your dxdiag setup? You seem to have one very screwed up windows installation. Do you use your windows to surf the net? What software do you have installed on your windows session? You seem to have a confict in what you have installed.

Windows is very much sensible to DLL conflict, and it seems that you have some sort of DLL conflict.

No, I wrote that paralles crashed during disabling directx in the parallels preferences, I my view this is a parallels problem NOT a windows problem !

For instance, I use Delphi and VS2005, with both of these applications installed on the same windows, I have issues. What I have done is installed a clean windows with nothing on it. This is my reference windows. I then made a copy of it and installed only VS2005. I then also made a copy of that reference and installed my Delphi. I never un both at the same time and therefore never run into conflicts.

By the way, before parallel I used to have a windows laptop for both of these environments as the issues between them is not parallel related, its windows.

I NEVER had to work on 2 windows computers cause one application didn't stand the other. Anyway everthing worked pretty fine BEFORE upgrading to 3.0. Please don't focus on parallels "advantages" which are absoltely unnescessary !
    I excpect that PARALELLS solves these problems, there is no problem with windows !

Rachel, do you ever post something useful?

...!

Kind regards

11. Rachel Faith

Rachel Faith Hunter

Hi Alain,

Yer right about this being a Parallels issue. It's their video driver. I know they are working on it, but, that doesn't help us who are stuck now. And it seems there are a few fanboys here who are Broken Glass Groupies when it comes to anyone suggesting otherwise. These issues are widely posted by a very diverse set of users who seemingly have nothing in their settings or systems in common, yet the fanboy choir seems to be pushing this "it's your windows" problem ad nausium. And since I began to speak up daily on this matter, a couple of them have taken to making personal comments to me in everyone else's thread. I apologize on behalf of them, since I seem to be the one they feel most threatened by.

I pray that a fix is released post haste and that should end it. I submitted my detailed information midweek, I guess they don't work weekends, I hope to get some feedback or at least more questions early in the next week. I will post them on as many of the appropriate threads as is warranted. Keep hoping!

= )